A Complete Photography Setup On A Budget...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desert diver paul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
500 British ponds, 715 US Dollars

I dive mainly in the Red Sea, however have ambitions to dive else where, on this budget, what would you buy and why?

New or second hand, however you can work the budget!

Last edited:
The scuba board classifieds are a great place to start. Also local ads, I'd buy whatever I can find used for your budget, providing you have the advice of someone who knows how to service used gear.

Otherwise your local dive shop may help you.

Regards,
Cameron

apologies, I have made the title more specific now, yes I mean a photography set up!

apologies, I have made the title more specific now, yes I mean a photography set up!

What kind of photography are you interested in? Little bitty critters, big pelagic animals, beautiful reef scenes, fish you want to look up later, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case, I'd avoid the Apex; it has terrible resolution and no macro capability. :)

Seriously, what kind of photography are you interested in? Little bitty critters, big pelagic animals, beautiful reef scenes, fish you want to look up later, etc.
At the moment, the reefs are what fascinate me, i have some amazing stacks and table corals at my regular dive site, plus clown fish just begging me to take THAT photo that everyone has, but why not, they are so photogenic! I'd also like to have the ability to do some macro, i'm getting a dab hand at spotting Nudi's now! I would like the option to set up for bigger stuff if I was diving somewhere where a siting is likely, but the reefs are my home at the moment.

You might consider a used compact point-and-shoot (P&S) camera, in a simple polycarbonate housing. An older Canon is a good choice, and Canon made some good housing. The G9, G12, G16 are examples, as are the S95, S100, S110. The biggest problem with all the P&S cameras is lag after you press the shutter; no problem for the nudibranchs, but it is frustrating the miss "the moment" when that clown fish peeks out. But you learn to anticipate, and just take lots of pix. Light is an issue: ambient light is not always want you want. The internal flash on the P&S cameras may be OK for close stuff, but it is not bright enough more than a foot away.

On eBay, a G12 will run you about $200. The Canon case for it maybe $125 more. That leaves you some money for a small strobe, like an Ikelite AF35 that is fired optically by the camera flash.

Do NOT be tempted by any of the small 'action' cameras like the GoPro. The are designed for wide-angle video and ar a compromise or fail for pretty much anything else.

Thanks Tursiops appreciate the advice, I'll start perusing eBay and see whats about.

I all ready have a GoPro, just the basic original hero, i use it to just take a video highlight of my dive, but often it stays in my dive bag!

Back
Top Bottom