A Career in Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all. I'm 20 years old and live in Halifax Nova Scotia. I currently work at a call centre and have been for about a year and a half and really don't want to stick around there for too much longer. I've had an open water diving certification with PADI for a few years now and really like diving for fun. It's really something I could see myself doing as a career. What sort of certification do you need to do commercial diving in Canada? What form of worldwide job opportunities are there in the SCUBA industry? Maybe somewhere tropical. That sounds nice.

Commercial diving & scuba are two separate things. If you enjoy building stuff, welding, cutting, burning and working around nuclear facilities and dont mind doing all these things underwater in zero visibility, than you might enjoy commercial diving. Not much that I know of for scuba stuff, maybe instructors but thats really all I can think of. Tropical? thats where everyone wants to be so youll have to fight for a spot there.

Hi Rad,

I too live in the GHA. I'm retired now (after doing 40 years in the Navy/commercial diving industry), but still believe that the field is a viable one. In Canada, there's one school that's outstanding (imo) and that's the Seneca College Underwater Skills Program (Underwater Skills. - Seneca College - Toronto, Canada). I was involved in the initial design of this program and worked there as an instructor in the early 70's. What was created was a no BS approach to real skills transfer for the real world (as opposed to some programs who make claims, teach fringe skills and don't have experienced Staff). The course is 35 weeks long and it properly prepares you for an entry-level position in the industry (don't be fooled by shorter courses that may not provide the student with adequate knowledge and hands-on experience).

Certification is through the Divers Certification Board of Canada, which is are recognized by Australia (ADAS), France, Norway, South Africa, the United Kingdom (HSE), the US ANSI/ACDE and the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA). So you're good to go world-wide. Good luck!

Wayne

Commercial diving & scuba are two separate things. If you enjoy building stuff, welding, cutting, burning and working around nuclear facilities and dont mind doing all these things underwater in zero visibility, than you might enjoy commercial diving. Not much that I know of for scuba stuff, maybe instructors but thats really all I can think of. Tropical? thats where everyone wants to be so youll have to fight for a spot there.

I do like building things. I have been since I was a kid. I built a few dune buggies and things like that. I'm not looking for something that I will enjoy to do rather something I don't hate as much as all the other jobs that I've had.

Hi Rad,

I too live in the GHA. I'm retired now (after doing 40 years in the Navy/commercial diving industry), but still believe that the field is a viable one. In Canada, there's one school that's outstanding (imo) and that's the Seneca College Underwater Skills Program (Underwater Skills. - Seneca College - Toronto, Canada). I was involved in the initial design of this program and worked there as an instructor in the early 70's. What was created was a no BS approach to real skills transfer for the real world (as opposed to some programs who make claims, teach fringe skills and don't have experienced Staff). The course is 35 weeks long and it properly prepares you for an entry-level position in the industry (don't be fooled by shorter courses that may not provide the student with adequate knowledge and hands-on experience).

Certification is through the Divers Certification Board of Canada, which is are recognized by Australia (ADAS), France, Norway, South Africa, the United Kingdom (HSE), the US ANSI/ACDE and the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA). So you're good to go world-wide. Good luck!

Wayne

Sounds like a good program. I might have to go back and do some upgrading. How's the commercial diving industry now? I know a lot of colleges tell you there's tonnes of jobs out there but when your done you can't find anything. Maybe I'll be able to work around where I used to live in West Pubnico. There are a lot of fishing boats down that way.

Sounds like a good program. I might have to go back and do some upgrading. How's the commercial diving industry now? I know a lot of colleges tell you there's tonnes of jobs out there but when your done you can't find anything. Maybe I'll be able to work around where I used to live in West Pubnico. There are a lot of fishing boats down that way.

The oil patch is busy. Last February Royal Dutch Shell announced that they will spend $970-million in exploration off Nova Scotia over the next six years. There's 120 trillion cubic feet of gas and eight billion barrels of oil available that they already know of and expect to find much more. So I imagine things aren't going to change very soon.

Rather than being just another newly graduated commercial diver with a ticket, I'd suggest that you get some training in welding or rigging and try to find some work in construction. If you have a construction background and get a ticket, you should beat-out most of your competition. I'd also drop buy Conners Diving Services and speak with Neil (Conners). Alternatively, drop by Dominion Diving and talk with Shawn MacPhail or one of the Supervisors there. I'm sure someone would spend a couple of minutes with you and you'd get some up-to-date advice on what's going on locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom