A Brief Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We arrived last thurs., 10/21/10. The tropical forecast from Crown Weather that morning was saying that a hurricane of major strength was LIKELY to hit Cancun/Cozumel in the next three days or so. With a significant tailwind from the north we made it from Houston to Cozumel in an hour and forty five minutes. The pilot took us across the island,out into the Caribbean Sea about a mile or so, made a big U Turn and landed against the North wind in a driving rainstorm. We landed at a much higher speed than normal. When he hit the brakes, and he hit them HARD, even with my seat belt on very tight if I hadn't reflexively put my hands up in front of me, my head would have slammed into the seat in front of me. But, Hey, I'm in Cozumel and I've walked away from worse landings.

Arrived at the Occidental Allegro and checked in without any problems. Property looked good ,very nice beach, very similar to the Grand next door where I'd stayed before. The similarity woud soon begin to fade. The room they gave me was about half the size of the room I had at the Blue Angel last May. And for 2 days I had no hot water until they could send a maint. guy to the room. And even then the water was not what I would call hot. The food, where do I begin. Dinner was inedible so we mostly ate dinner at restaurants. Breakfast was doable and lunch was maybe OK if you were careful what you picked. Very careful.

We used their Dive Op. because I had 2 newbies with me. Pro Dive took very good care of us. I have no complaints whatsoever. They let us, group of 6 divers, plan our dives around the newbies and couldn't have been nicer about it. Michelle,Chris and Carmen were professional in every way. I would gladly dive with them again.

I want to warn anyone headed to the Allegro about something else. As you come through the lobby and head toward your rooms there is a booth/kiosk manned by at least 4 of the most aggressive blood thirsty Hyenas that ever attempted to sell me a timeshare. They are relentless Emptyeyed Zombies who will not leave you alone. I finally had to complain to the Gen. Mgr., a very nice man named Alberto, who told them to BACK OFF! They did.

I hope your weather improved.

I stayed at the Allegro on our first trip to Coz and I agree the property and beach are beautiful, but the rooms are tiny. The food was so so at best. The problem is you are so far away from town, that going in for your meals becomes expensive and time consuming. I wouldn't stay that far south again.

As for time share guys, I just speak to them in some Scandinavian dialect, like the Swedish chef in the Muppets and they never try to talk to me again.

Sounds like your diving was good though.

PH

I stayed at the Allegro with 9 other guys once and we had a lot of fun, but the resort rooms had several problems while we were there. Most of the guys took huge advantage of the cold beer on tap at the pool restaurant and would have eaten anything you put in front of them, so they didn't care. We did go into town and eat dinner and party, so mostly just ate breakfast and lunch.

Back
Top Bottom