A BIG Thank You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dear everybody,

Well - it looks like the worst of it is over. This week, guests have finally started arriving in numbers significant enough to keep more than a just a couple of members of staff busy on a daily basis. Today we put out two boats, tomorrow three, and the future is looking brighter.

A party of our repeat customers arrived today who booked for the sole reason that they wanted to support their dive centre and the staff who work here after what have been difficult times both for the country, the business and the individual staff, both foreign and domestic, that work so hard to keep the dive industry running in the Red Sea. They came just to give us support.... I mean - WOW - *speechless*

We must be doing something right! :cool2:

The last few months have not been easy - and especially recently with friends and colleagues leaving; belts and pockets tightened wondering what's going to happen next.

So on behalf of myself, my colleagues, and everybody else involved in the dive industry - THANK YOU for your feedback, support and encouragement. For me personally, it's meant a great deal.

Now - get your butts back over here before I have to personally come and drag you out of your homes! :D

Crowley

Glad to hear that business is returning Crowley

I would have loved to go to Egypt now, but still no flights from Norway.

The first operator start flying there in mid March, and then the rest follow in the beginning of May.

Just came back from a trip to Aqaba 2 weeks ago, and i miss Sharm a lot.
Aqaba was expensive and the diving not as good.

Looks like we are booking a new trip to Sharm in the end of May.

Unless there is something special happening, like hungry sharks or crazy leaders.

Oh! Can I be one of the people you come and drag out of their house???? PLEASE!!!! :D

I'm sure it's been a very rough year! But, I'm glad things are looking up! :)

See you in 3 weeks Crowley.. Bags packed already.. :D

Thanks again folks!

SoccerJeni - PM me your address and when I've saved up enough pennies to afford the air fare over to your place (give me 3 or 4 years!) I will be happy to drag you away! :D

MatD - spoke to the office today, looking forward to your arrival mate. If you have any questions please PM me! :D

Cheers

C.

The internet tells me that it's 29°C in sunny Sharm El Sheikh this morning. Tempting, However, as of this morning, the official British Foreign and Commonwealth Office guidence advises that:

(1) "There is a nationwide curfew in place from 00:00 to 06:00 local time... The curfew is not being enforced in the Red Sea Resort area..."

(2) "On 28 December, the CDWS reported that the office of the Governor of South Sinai issued a decree which stated that all areas along the Sharm el Sheikh coast line were again open to water sports following their temporary closure as a result of the attacks. However, you should also note that the decree stated that:

i. swimming is permitted only in from of hotels on the condition that the hotel provides a ‘secure swimming area’, which is defined as an area no deeper than 2 metres and clearly marked with buoys and ropes;

ii. restrictions on snorkelling in the area still apply with snorkelling permitted only in the Tiran area, by boat and where a hotel has a fringing reef and the snorkeler is accompanied by a snorkelling guide registered with the CDWS and working with a CDWS member centre."

So, are the FCO behind or (1) is there technically still a curfew in Sharm (albeit unenforced) and (2) are there still restrictions on swimming and snorkeling?

I should also point out that the official UK government lines is still that "There is a high threat from terrorism in Egypt. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in public places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers, such as hotels and restaurants."

Egypt travel advice

Curfew? What curfew? :D

Snorkelling is open in Tiran and Ras Mohamed, and yes, some shore areas are still restricted but otherwise generally normal. All forms of diving are permitted in the appropriate locations subject to the usual restrictions.

There is a high threat from terrorism in Egypt? Really? Glad we have the FCO to tell us these things. Of course, they make no mention of New York, Madrid, London, Manchester, Bali...; it's really not something I worry about here.

Welcome to Sharm-El-Sheikh (and Dahab, Hurghada, El Qsir, El Gouna, Safaga, Marsa Alam, Taba and Nuweiba...) have a nice day :D

Watch out for the camels though... :D

C.

Back
Top Bottom