A 9 Day Experiment of Sorts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After receiving this reply:

"Wow, I couldn't disagree with your position more Mike. The no carb/low carb diets do work initially, but not long term. And not paying attention to fat content in food is a recipe for disaster. You must control your fat intake. The best method for losing weight and keeping it off is a good balanced diet.....

And 25 pounds in 45 days may sound impressive but unless you weigh about 400 lbs you will have trouble keeping it off and sustaining that kind of loss. 2lbs a week is a good, healthy sustainable rate of loss. I lost 45 lbs in about 8 months, and have kept it off for almost 2 years. My cholesterol dropped 40 points, and my BP went from a normal 120/80 to 90/60...."

In this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2877343&postcount=10

...I decided to do a little trial run. I was scheduled to be out of town and away from the gym for about 9 days. So I pretended that when I left, I was at what my goal weight was, and I was going to be in the mode of just normal excise, and a basic everyday healthy diet. So off I went and took my 9 days away from the gym. While away, I went from an extremely low carb diet, to one that was pretty balanced. Meals consisted of chicken, rice, vegies and the like. Thrown in there a few times was a pizza and salad lunch, a few hot chocolates, spaghetti dinner, and even a few guilty snacks like a bag of M & M's at the movies.

What was absent was how I used to eat before I started my weight loss which was basically eating Mc Donalds, Carl's Jr, and stuff like that three times a day. So yesterday evening I head back to the gym to get back into my swimming routine, and I noticed something right away.

For one I was able to get right back in and swim harder than I ever had, with less effort. So after i swim I jump on the scale to see what my 9 days of pleasure has cost me. And just as Merxlin said in the red highlighted text above. my weight had changed. Now I was hoping for a max of about 4-5 pounds of gain. Boy was I slightly off.

I in fact had actually lost another pound while I was away!

So what this told me that was while a very low carb diet is a quick way to shed weight, after I reach my goal, it will take a healthy diet, and a basic exercise routine to stay at where I want to be. I figure I have about 2 more months to get where I want, and then I can transition to a maintenance routine.

And see? all those carbs you've ingested are feeding your brain...

(that was a joke. in reference to our previous joke.)

Congrats on your success - and thank goodness that a bag of M&Ms every now and then isn't going to ruin us. :)

kari

Definitely - Congrats.

I love movies and movie theaters with the "self-serve" center (like bulk candy) are a great way of getting a small amount without eatting a whole box. Yum! I want to go to the movies! Ah, Las Vegas will have to do for this weekend! :)

No diving this weekend? Awww...:(

Glad you had success Mike. Had it gone the other way, it wouldn't have been the first time my opinion was wro.............proven not as close to right as it could have been.

Back
Top Bottom