A-40 ? - Experience with Macro / Wide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txwombat

Reaction score
I've got a A-40 with the DC200S housing - had great luck so far - some pretty good shots - but now looking at expanding - I've already got a strobe setup (25DX) - I'm thinking about giving a try with a macro lenses - I’ve got the Sea and Sea Adaptor that came with the housing - can't decide what lens....
20mm / 16mm SAY that they can focus down to about 12" -but how does that compare to a real macro lens? -

From what I've seen the 2T Macro setup from Sea and Sea is supposed to work with the DCS200S - has anyone used it? -

Thanks,
Jason

anyone? - I've got a trip planned to Roatan at the end of August - and want to have time to purchase the equipment and work with it begore I go on vacation......

Thanks,
Jason

Jason....That particular setup isn't very popular among U/W photogs, although there are a few out there. So I wouldn't wait for responses here before I make a purchase.

My wide angle 20mm lens focuses down to about 12". Wheras my OlyC-4040's macro has an 8" focus. Some cameras, such as the C-5050, have a super macro that let you focus within 1"...but that also has a whole set of problems with it. I have no idea what your cameras macro focus range is and the add-on macro lens will be even different. My 2T macro for my old MMII had a focus of about 4" but I don't know if that will still apply with a digital....never tried it.

Thanks for the info – I’m not sure why this setup isn't popular, I would think that it would be a good starting point for about anyone.....

I've got a an array of shots that I took while in Belize –
http://txwombat.speedgamers.com/dive/Belize/Coral/Show_image.php?img=94

http://txwombat.speedgamers.com/dive/Belize/Coral/Show_image.php?img=118

http://txwombat.speedgamers.com/dive/Belize/Fish/Show_image.php?img=170

My main web site is at - (Only the Belize pics are up...)
http://txwombat.speedgamers.com/dive/Belize/index.htm

Sounds like I may go for a 2t and a 16mm wide...... 1 question though - the lens - once attached to the outside of the housing - can it be switched out while underwater- or is it supposed to be water tight between the housing and the new lens?

Jason.

txwombat once bubbled...
Sounds like I may go for a 2t and a 16mm wide...... 1 question though - the lens - once attached to the outside of the housing - can it be switched out while underwater- or is it supposed to be water tight between the housing and the new lens?

Jason.

You can change the lenses underwater. I use a lens caddy called a Digital Lens Dock that is very easy to use, gentle on the fine threads of the lens, and easy to place on your housing.

You'll need to make sure there is no air between your housing and the lens. So if you enter the water with one of the add-on lenses attached, remove it to release the air bubbles, and replace it...this is called burping your lens. Just be careful not to drop that lens! If you use the Digital Lens Dock, it comes with a tether system for security...another reason I use it.

Thanks for the reply- I purchased a 3:1 macro as well as a 20mm wide angle lense (the 16mm was on backorder).

Thanks,
Jason.

When I had the MMIIex, I had both 20mm and 16mm lenses. I much preferred the 20mm. Bigger isn't always better!

Any other suggestions that would come in handy? - I'm planning on playing with the lenses out at the local lake before going on the trip..... I see that you have been to Roatan - what did you think of it? - where did you stay? - I'll be at the Beach Island bay resort - I guess it has the 'spooky channel' marine reserve right in front of it.....

Jason.

txwombat once bubbled...
Any other suggestions that would come in handy? - I'm planning on playing with the lenses out at the local lake before going on the trip..... I see that you have been to Roatan - what did you think of it? - where did you stay? - I'll be at the Beach Island bay resort - I guess it has the 'spooky channel' marine reserve right in front of it.....

Jason.

I love Roatan...please don't get me started! :D We go every year to CoCo View Resort. Our next trip in april '04, we're staying for 2 weeks. It's hard to compare the diving at the two resorts because of the locations. BIBR is on the north side and CCV is on the south side. I like the easy shore dives, the vertical walls and the photo ops. Also the chance to see the bigger stuff like whale sharks and manta rays that they say rarely visit the north side. Or so 'they' say! I've heard great things about BIBR, almost went there ourselves one time, and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

As for tips....I leave my camera on Macro mode all the time except for reef scenics. However, I was just reading on DDD to leave it in macro even then. It's worth a try and I'll be testing that on Wed. at the lake myself!

- I was just reading on DDD to leave it in macro even then. It's worth a try and I'll be testing that on Wed. at the lake myself!- - -

DDD?
What Lake?

thanks for the info,
Jason.

Back
Top Bottom