9 years post-surgery for two repaired aneurysms. Diving concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannasch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a 'young' woman, 39, I had two aneurysms repaired. (Splenic and[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] superior mesenteric arteries) Although certified at 17, I've done very few dives. Now getting certified again, but I'm curious the thoughts or personal experiences of the board on the perceived safety of diving with this 'condition'. Healthy, 48, med controlled blood pressure, heart fine. Thanks everyone.[/FONT]

If you are nine years post-op with no issues at all related to the surgery, I don't think it has any implications for diving at all.

When you say healthy, do you mean that you have no underlying conditions that could lead to the formation of other aneurisms? If so I'd agree with TSandM but you'd be best off getting evaluated by a diving medical professional. St. Luke's Hospital has a hyperbaric unit with physicians who can evaluate divers.

Best regards,
DDM

p.s. 48 is still young!

Last edited:
Thank you TSandM and DDM for the responses. It appears (to me, based on my history) that I have no underlying health issues with regard to the aneurysm/circulatory/heart areas as I am on BP meds to keep BP in order. Thanks DDM for the docs in my area and for the encouragement that I'm still young! (While taking my refresher course and hanging out in the H2O so much, I feel like I'm 25!)

Take care, Danna

WAIT…DANNA

You are asking medical advice from us anonymous posters on ScubaBoard? Really? Don't believe anything we say and go and get some real advice from professionals on this. You can contact DAN and find out who is qualified to evaluate you and your medical history and tell you what the risks and probabilities are.

WAIT…DANNA

You are asking medical advice from us anonymous posters on ScubaBoard? Really? Don't believe anything we say and go and get some real advice from professionals on this. You can contact DAN and find out who is qualified to evaluate you and your medical history and tell you what the risks and probabilities are.

your choice.

You can take Duke Dive Medicine's advice here and contact St. Luke's

or

You can call DAN, be transferred to Duke Dive Medicine and receive advice to contact St. Luke's

You guys are too funny. (But your concern is appreciated.) I'm in touch with several medical professionals and have been undergoing a few tests to determine my fitness for diving as well as reviewing a past MRA. I had actually already contacted DAN, they referred me to a doc in STL and I am currently arranging communications between the dive doc and my GP.

I'm impatient and I wanted general thoughts and that is what I got. Thank you for your caution warning! And…thank you for any other comments, warnings, opinions and advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom