9 day trip - diving similan islands in April + super short trip to Cambodia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Leaving April 19 for a trip from the east coast U.S. to Phuket. Here's our itinerary. We would like to do so much more, but there's no way with our time constraints. Any advice whatsoever? plus what do you think about the dive sites & conditions in late April (diving conditions that is ... I know the weather will be miserably hot and humid)

Start Apr 19 - 9:00 p.m. - arrive Apr 21 in Phuket 7 am (23 hrs travel) - 1 hour to hotel - sleep!
Apr 22 - Thai cooking class @ 11 am - 3:30 pm leave for Chalong Pier (1 hr drive) - board MV Giamani
4-22 through 4-26 diving with Giamani - dive sites: Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Surin and Richelieu
4-26 - depart Chalong Pier early evening - transport to hotel in Patong - take in a Muay Thai boxing match - back @ hotel by 1 am
4-27 - check out the Patong area? massage at the hotel? - then drive to a hotel by the airport
4-28 - 6 a.m. flight from Phuket to Siem Reap, Cambodia
4-28 / 4-29 - tour Angkor Wat
4-30 - 4 pm - start of flights home - 33 hrs (sleeping in Qatar airport hotel for 8 hrs before flight back home)

I feel sad that we won't even really experience the Thai or Cambodian culture! but you do what you can with the time you're given, when you need to dive.

I would be really nervous and uneasy arriving the morning that I board a liveaboard. There is no cushion for flight delays, etc. and I would be nervous about missing the boat. More so because you’re coming in internationally. Even domestic, I would give myself some cushion so that you have a few flights between you and the departure of boat that you can fall back on.

Angkor Wat highlights are doable in the time period that you have but it will be a bit more rushed. You will be touring as soon as you arrive, all day the second day, and up until the point that you have to be at the airport. I would get an AC car and guide to do it - don’t do it by tuktuk to make the most out of your time.

Last edited:
Hi there. Oh - no, actually we'll be getting picked up for the boat a full day later than our arrival day. Just like you mentioned, I would be way too nervous about flight delays and missing the boat (as well as way too exhausted), if it was the day of arrival.

I know it's going to be a grind for the Angkor Wat part of our trip - and we won't see it all - but I couldn't resist squeezing it in - after traveling that far and being so close. Seeing an itinerary on paper and doing it in person are 2 different things, so I'm sure it will be interesting. Much like a lot of our trips! I like your suggestion for an AC car and guide - I will use it! I hope Giamani is a nice LOB - the only LOB I've done was in the Maldives and it was super luxurious! :)

Hi there. Oh - no, actually we'll be getting picked up for the boat a full day later than our arrival day. Just like you mentioned, I would be way too nervous about flight delays and missing the boat (as well as way too exhausted), if it was the day of arrival.

I know it's going to be a grind for the Angkor Wat part of our trip - and we won't see it all - but I couldn't resist squeezing it in - after traveling that far and being so close. Seeing an itinerary on paper and doing it in person are 2 different things, so I'm sure it will be interesting. Much like a lot of our trips! I like your suggestion for an AC car and guide - I will use it! I hope Giamani is a nice LOB - the only LOB I've done was in the Maldives and it was super luxurious! :)

LOL my reading skills are on point tonight

Well, I like the idea of the smaller groups, and it seems to have very positive reviews.
I didn’t see many (any?) LOB’s doing 4 Nt. trips in the Similan Islands that could be described as luxurious (comparatively). Of course my only LOB experience set the bar pretty high on luxury.
Looking forward to these dive sites for sure.

Well, I like the idea of the smaller groups, and it seems to have very positive reviews.
I didn’t see many (any?) LOB’s doing 4 Nt. trips in the Similan Islands that could be described as luxurious (comparatively). Of course my only LOB experience set the bar pretty high on luxury.
Looking forward to these dive sites for sure.
All boats like DiveRace, Deep Andaman Queen, Pawara, Sawasdee Fasai Hallelujah, are more luxurious than Giamani and offer 4 days trips, but will also cater to many more people on board. That is Giamani's main attraction, just a few people.

So yes, I do understand why you'd like to go on Giamani, but 'comparatively luxurious' there are many alternatives.

Rather hectic schedule... I'd try to get one more day in Cambodia.

Ankor Wat is HUGE, and most tours start at 4am to catch the iconic 'sunrise over the temples'... some stunning silhouette photo opportunities.
Its also much cooler than trying to walk far in the heat of the day and vastly less crowded if you are like me and cannot cope with shoulder-to-shoulder jostling tour groups :eek:

Attachments

• Angkor Wat Dawn_1 lores.jpg
    Angkor Wat Dawn_1 lores.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 85
trying to conserve space packing and only want to bring one wetsuit. any recommendations for late April? is the green monster a given at Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Surin and Richelieu this time of year? not like we can change our plans now, so it is what it is, and I'm sure we'll have fun in any event!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom