9/11 Memorial on USNS VANDENBERG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rae HalfTheHill

MSDT/Captain
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good morning all,

Got clued into a project that is happening this upcoming September. A piece of artwork consisting of an 8-ton piece of the foundational cement of the World Trade Centers is being placed on the bow of the Vandy.

Sounds like an interesting venture, and I must admit I am curious as to the engineering behind placing that much weight on steel plating that has been submerged for over 12 years. From what I can see, the bulkheads under the bow are spaced about 10-12 feet apart.

In any case, I look forward to either seeing this monument or having a new swim through on the wreck :p

Where did you find out about that?
I would like to volunteer to help out with that project.

Yes, please can you share more information on this project? Is it the Navy, Army Core of Engineers, Private Company or Group, others?
Thank you

It appears to be a private group, however the Army Special Warfare dive school is assisting with the placement I believe. The project is called 911UP by San Priest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom