84" Primary Regulator Hose vs. 60" vs. 40" w/ Swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kastkr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving for ~15 years and have recently moved to BP/W (last few years). However I still dove primarily with regular ("octopus" donate) hose routing. I am in the process now of moving to a primary donate configuration and am grappling with the best hose length for my primary regulator. For context I dive single tank, both cold and warm water and am gradually moving (as funds allow) toward DIR configuration.

Should I just go 84" (7 foot) and call it a day - just tuck in waistband (don't have canister light)? Or should I consider the other options? I do not want to change hose length b/w cold/warm - and am a bit concerned that 7" will be unwieldy on vacation boat dives. Thoughts and/or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

A 5ft hose worked fine for me single tank, but I'm only 5'5". I'm doing a 7ft hose now with my doubles and I just tuck the extra in my belt.

Any way to try it out at your dive shop?

Depending on the size of your frame, you could make 5’ Work. I have a pretty large frame and a 5’ is just a little too long to run untucked, but to short to tuck a loop in waiste strap. Have have a coupe single tank rigs set up for kids w 5’ hoses that work great. So. YMMV

I
Either way, I like a 90* elbow, with the long hose around my neck putting the 90* on the right jaw.

You want a bolt snap on the hose, to you have a way to clip off the reg when you are at the surface, or you are almost guaranteed to drag in through the dirt, or deck at some point.

IMHO - open water no restriction pleasure diving, why even bother with some 5’ hose?

BP/W is no different than a BCD.

Panicked OOA either I want you close to control you or hand you a bottle and get away.

I’ll put a long hose when diving with my son cause his consumption isn’t the best and we’ll share for a bit but I wouldn’t want to hand 5 or 7’ of hose off to any panicked rec diver.

Dive how you feel comfortable.

Reactions: Kha
If you’re headed down the DIR rabbit hole, go 5’. Manageable, not big $ and almost identical to 7’ protocols. A benefit with DIR there are no worries about handing a long hose to a “panicked diver”. I’d much rather donate a 5’ hose to a panicked diver then have him up close and personal with a 40” hose where they can do some stupid things to me.

Welcome to SB

For open water we dive with a 5' hose. IMHO that is the way to go. Very manageable above and below the water. The only reason to use a 7' hose is if you are diving in an environment were one might go OOG and requires a single file exit. That is for a cave or serious wreck penetration.

A 5' hose works for me, but tucking a 7' is no big deal either.

I am long torso-ed. A 5ft was too long to tuck in and flopped around. A 7ft is long enough to tuck into my waist or route under my knife (if I dont have a light on).
I would suggest just getting the 7ft, its not a big deal to stow at all

I found a 5' works fine for me but I use a 7' as I dont see a downside. Easy to stow and has more length.

dive a plate with short hose, no secondary unless diving doubles, pony with singles, swim away donate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom