82 Year Old Diver Rescued from a Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You have to love a story like this, I hope I am still capable of this sort of coverage at 82:

82-year-old diver rescued from rock
An 82-year-old man was rescued from a rock during a diving trip in the Bay of Islands.

The man went out in his boat alone about 9.30am yesterday and the alarm was raised when he failed to return by 7pm.

Northern Region Coastguard spokeswoman Jo Ottey said the Bay Rescue coastguard boat was alerted and just after 10pm found the elderly man sitting on a rock at Cape Wiwiki, west of Cape Brett.

She said he had been separated from his 4.5m boat six hours earlier and had apparently swum to the rock.

"He was cold. There was a request for an ambulance to meet them when they got back in but he was taken home by police. He did not end up going to hospital," she said.

The man's boat had not been found and a navigation alert had been put out, she said.

Common sense suggested the man should have had someone in the boat if he was diving and that he should not have gone out diving alone, she said.

- NZPA

Alison

probably dives solo because all of his (former) dive buddies died of old age.

It's never good to dive and not leave anyone on the boat even when not diving solo. However, the person left topside needs to know how to run the boat.

I agree, he must be a tough guy, I hope I am still diving when I'm 82.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

I agree, he probably can't find anyone his age to buddy with and while we rage on this site against how he took that trip...I wonder how many of us, when we get to that age and can still carry a tank on our backs might say: "Can't find a dive buddy, no one to watch the boat...the h*** with it, I wanna dive and I'm goin'!" An old timer in his 80's once told me there are only three stages in life. 1. when you're so young you haven't acquired anything in life yet and never think about death. 2. when you hit middle age and have acquired many things and you start thinking about death, and 3. when gold has lost it's luster and death is so close all the most important thing in life is living out what life you've got left. Personally, I will do all I can until the body says no more.

WoooHooo! To be still diving at 82 and to spend 6 hours on a rock and still be kicking.. You go old man!!!!!. I should be so lucky...............

It looks like this guy is going to give Tom Mount a run for his money. Tom has said he wants to be the oldest diver on record.

What a Rockstar, 82 and still diving? By himself none the less. My hat is off to him and I'd dive with him anyday! That guy is livin it up...good for him

I hope I'm still diving at 82 as well. Last year I told my kids & husband that my goal is to have a family photo taken while scuba diving when I am in my 80's :) I figure it should at least include my husband, myself, our 3 kids, their spouses & their kids. Maybe some great grandchildren too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom