8.2 Earthquake off of Indonesia! tsunami warning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Charlier said. It's a good thing, the Sundra Fault having a much needed burp to release a bit of tension. I dived through an 8.6 there a few years ago and enjoyed an 8.2 during a surface interval at Cubadak. Slip strikes are common and really quite enjoyable as long as you are not surrounded by concrete. News from home (Western Australia) showed the watch alert lifted quite quickly.

Hi all - its seems that the fault rupture perhaps occurred on an east-west trending strike-slip fault, located over 600 west of the Sunda megathrust, the fault that generated the large tsunami in 2004. I am off for a business trip to NYC, so I have to pack city clothing. charlie

Thanks everyone. Was quite concerned at first. I'm leaving for long weekend in Jakarta tomorrow and we already had some concern over recent flooding there. I was posting as info came to me. In the old format, my posts would have chained one to another and become one post instead of these weird individual posts. :p

Thanks charlier and Wingy :flowers:

In Khao Lak there was a 4 meter wave from the quake as reported by business owners. Most locals and many tourists headed for the hills as soon as the alarms went off. They take these things seriously around here now. I haven't seen or heard about any damage but I haven't been that close to the shore yet.

News sources said that those too, in Sumatra that felt the tremors, headed for high ground in near panic.

In Khao Lak there was a 4 meter wave from the quake as reported by business owners. Most locals and many tourists headed for the hills as soon as the alarms went off. They take these things seriously around here now. I haven't seen or heard about any damage but I haven't been that close to the shore yet.

Hi Zippy - Although I rarely dismiss local reports, it's hard to understand how a deep rupture on a strike slip fault could generate a a 4m wave in Khao Lak, but not in NW Sumatra.. The DART buoys do not support such a large surge and the tsunami warning was lifited shortly after the event. Give us an update as you return to Phuket. charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom