8-14-10 Carmel Jellies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We did two dives in Carmel on Saturday. The top 20 feet was teemng with little jellies, which for the most part I couldn't get focus on, but did get a couple. There were also some big Egg Yolk jellies, including one with what I'm told are Alepas Pacifica barnacles hitchhiking on the bell.

The tiny ones, I had to PS the heck out of to get rid of the backscatter (jelly food) so I hope I didn't butcher them too badly.

DSC_6746croppsesm.jpg

DSC_6747croppse2sm.jpg

DSC_6751croppsesm.jpg

DSC_6761croppsesm.jpg

DSC_6790croppsesm.jpg

Nice shots! We saw a bunch on the North Coast Saturday. I sat on a rock looking out over the ocean. From this vantage point I could look down into the water. Other than the distractions of things like the baby harbor seal, I was amazed at how many small jellies were passing through the rocks with the surge.

Thanks for the report and photos Larry.

San Diego has been over-run with jellies this summer. Mostly Fried Egg and Black Sea Nettles near the shoreline. More than I can remember seeing. We are also seeing the same Gooseneck barrnacles on the fried eggs.

Thanks SoCalSwami and Jim.
I feel like I've gotten lucky if I get the camera to even acknowledge focus on one of the etherial little buggers, much less catch it in focus. Then, unless it's a windy day and the plankton near the surface has blown away, leaving the jellies in clear water, the backscatter is generally so bad they're unusable anyway. My point and shoot would shoot them out of focus, and if I took enough I might get an OK one. The D300 just ignores me when I push the button. It won't acknowledge that I have a subject. I suppose I could hold the focus lock button down and hope for the best.
Anyone shoot manual focus with them? Ambient light? What's your secret, folks?
BTW, I do most of my diving in Monterey, where the water is green, the plankton is plentiful and the sun seldom shines.

BTW, I do most of my diving in Monterey, where the water is green, the plankton is plentiful and the sun seldom shines.

But at least you have thick kelp, surf and surge to help you!:rofl3:

Thanks SoCalSwami and Jim.
I feel like I've gotten lucky if I get the camera to even acknowledge focus on one of the etherial little buggers, much less catch it in focus. Then, unless it's a windy day and the plankton near the surface has blown away, leaving the jellies in clear water, the backscatter is generally so bad they're unusable anyway. My point and shoot would shoot them out of focus, and if I took enough I might get an OK one. The D300 just ignores me when I push the button. It won't acknowledge that I have a subject. I suppose I could hold the focus lock button down and hope for the best.
Anyone shoot manual focus with them? Ambient light? What's your secret, folks?

I have managed to get a couple by setting a focal length and then turning off the autofocus. Needs a bit of trial and error, but if you dedicate a dive to it, you should see some results.

Back
Top Bottom