8.1 megapixels, top scuba.com rating,...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetminkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have any of you had any experience with the Sony DSC-N1 or -N2? So far I've seen no responses to my post in the "Flash Dance" section! The cameras are top rated by scuba.com and I'm curious about their flash capabilities U/W. I now own a DSC-N1 and will purchase the Sony Marine Pack for the camera before our SCUBA trip in August. Fantastic pics and capabilities via 3" touch screen menus above water, wanted to hear from any of you about U/W limitations (so I can avoid them in advance!). Thanks, Todd.

Sorry, I just don't see as many Sonys come through and those that I have seen just don't impress me as much as other brands.

Looks to me like neither of these have manual controls and only have presets (no manual setting) for white balance. Not a contender imho.

I think their flash capabilities are pretty much the same as all point and shoot cameras U/W, as long as you get close they can work quite well. The lack of white balance control will be a problem for anything but close ups where the flash will illuminate the subject but this can be fixed in editing. Too bad they won't shoot RAW.

Understood, thanks. But for $250, this first digital (for us) is phenominal! White balance does have several presets thru the touch screen (I'll have to see what's available as far as settings with the Marine Pack). I'll still be hauling along my Nikonos V/Ikelite substrobe and my wife will be using the DSC-N1. Nikonos has the 35mm lens, so the Sony can get macro that the 35mm can't, and I can shoot up to five feet with my Ikelite,...between the two of us, that covers most pics. Pelagics, etc,...will just be the normal blue tinge with the Nikonos,...unlighted I guess. I've been looking at external, fiberoptic strobes for the Sony,...they may be worth a try. Sure appreciate the input!! Todd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom