~7nt liveaboard for Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hate to add yet another "which liveaboard" question, but I have read a TON and now would like to tap into the vast scuba.com braintrust.

We are a group of 3 or 4 (although might have up to 8 if we really tried to sucker some people in). We are looking for ~7nt cruise of Komodo NP in Aug/Sept of '09. Length is based on the fact that we plan another week in Lembeh (land based) and thats about all we can get away for (and afford). We met on the Aggressor in May, so we are all willing to spend a little for some pampering, but we dont need to be in the lap of lux, and want to keep prices in check given the total cost of this trip.

A lot of ships are ruled out as having only 10+nt cruises. what I have found :
Mermaid II. 7nt ~$2300pp Downside is trip from Bali to park and back
Ho Chen. 7nt ~$2700pp Spendier side. Reviews go both ways
Bidadari 7nt ~$2200pp Lower budget boat? Saw a couple decent reviews
Blue Marlin 7nt ~$1500pp Low budget boat but gets ok reviews
Ondina 8nt ~$2400pp I think ppl like this one. If we get 6th guy, he's free!

Prices are a best guess. I have requested quotes from most, but as airfare and fees included vary, I put in what I though was close (within 10%).

I know Songline also does a bunch of boats - smaller ones where we could probably have the whole thing. My concern there is the run-down nature of a lot of these, as well as the small-ship-big-ocean issue. But I am open to suggestions!

Anything I am missing out on? Any strong recommendations for or against anything? Prices are all OK, although I would say the $3K mark is a max, and some might get close to that.

We are looking for a great crew, good food, great service. Reef/site knowledge. I have a lobster-rig camera, so good support there is nice. Beyond that we would pay a C-note or two extra if the boat is deluxe and would like to avoid rusty, leaky, smelly, etc boats.

Thanks!
Jeremy

My family and I were on the Ondina this past August. In terms of luxury, the boat leaves much to be desired. The only hot water showers are on the main deck in the wetsuit room. Showers in cabin are really just sprayers (like on your kitchen sink) with tepid, non-heated water. Beds are so-so at best. Same for food.

Where the boat shines is diving. Ricardo, the trip leader and part owner of the boat, really knows Komodo and will put you on the right sites at the right time. Robert is a great guide and all the crew, Moulli and Lola in particular, are wonderful. So despite some disappointment in the boat, we had a great trip. We had been to Komodo once before with Kararu and had a very bad trip. I returned only because I couldn't believe that what I had seen was the Komodo everybody raves about. After our trip on the Ondina, I understand why people rate Komodo so highly.

You might also consider the Seven Seas whose owner is reputed to be very knowledgeable about Komodo. One thing I would definitely advise is to avoid a boat that sails from Bali. The diving inside the park is far superior to the diving on the way to there.

We were on the Peter Hughes Komodo Dancer and had a great time. They were very knowledgeable and were very service oriented. Michael and Helene were incredible for making sure we got the best they could offer. The cook and waiter did a good job.

reubencahn, Thanks for the info. Definatly helpful! Ondina would offer us ~$1800pp if we were 6, so that was my top choice, but with your review of the boat that might change. Will have to let the group decide. Personally I can deal with a little discomfort/inconvenience if it saves me enough. Unfortunalty Dancer and Seven Seas dont do the shorter itineraries during our timeframe. Otherwise they would be winners. Mermaid II is out because it is a Bali-Bali trip. Based on price and reviews, Ho Chen/Kararu is out. Blue Marlin is at bottom of list for me just because of the comfort level I think... but I could be convinced. So that leaves Bidadari, which I can find little about and they didnt respond to my inquiry yet (nor did Blue Marlin).

reubencahn, Thanks for the info. Definatly helpful! Ondina would offer us ~$1800pp if we were 6, so that was my top choice, but with your review of the boat that might change. Will have to let the group decide. Personally I can deal with a little discomfort/inconvenience if it saves me enough. Unfortunalty Dancer and Seven Seas dont do the shorter itineraries during our timeframe. Otherwise they would be winners. Mermaid II is out because it is a Bali-Bali trip. Based on price and reviews, Ho Chen/Kararu is out. Blue Marlin is at bottom of list for me just because of the comfort level I think... but I could be convinced. So that leaves Bidadari, which I can find little about and they didnt respond to my inquiry yet (nor did Blue Marlin).

Jeremy,

Despite the lack of creature comforts, I would recommend Ondina. It's funny because, had I read comments like my own prior to booking, I probably would have chosen a different boat. And I do feel that, at $350 a night, Ondina should provide more creature comfort. Despite this, my experience on the boat was very good. Komodo, more than most other destinations, is very tide and current dependent. Local knowledge and timing is the difference between mediocre and great diving. In the end, I'm travelling halfway around the world and spending a fortune for the diving, and Ondina provided excellent diving.

Jeremyl, the boats you mention are all not bad. Some of them appear in this list of Komodo liveaboards where it will be easy for you to compare them.

Bidadari is actually not a bad boat, the diving side is run by Dive Komodo DIVE KOMODO - Liveaboard Cruises and is safe knowledgeable operation (lots of years operating in the park and other places) and good equipment. contact greg@divekomodo.com for more details and quick answers.

Diving outside the park is fairly good as well especially at Saneang Island (black volcanic sand with as still active volcano), Banta has some amazing spots, hight to heavy/hell its a small world and K2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom