7mm Fullsuit time - Deep 6 or Waterproof W4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My essentially new Aqualung Fusion Tech DS is waiting (and probably waiting, waiting, waiting ...) for a new liner because it doesn't even qualify as a good semi-dry. :mad:

My 7/5 Henderson Gold-Core is pretty much shot. :( I came up on the 4th dive of the day last WE at the quarry just totally chilled through, even though we were pretty shallow - air-temps just didn't allow core-heat recovery.

But, I have a couple more weekends of diving in Nov. AND, I probably should have a good 7mm class suit anyway. So I'll be ordering, likely Friday.

Since I'm likely to be in this for the long term, I'm willing to go for a mid to upper range suit that has better durability, performance, and features I want. While I want good thermal performance, I'd also like something that is easy on and off where there might be 4-5 dives a day in the quarry and getting it off because of hot or cold air temps is key.

Fit wise, I'm a bit tough. Mostly L/XL up top due to shoulders (I typically need a 42-44Reg jacket to fit my shoulders and be able to move) and Medium bottom -typically 34"w x 32"i pants. 5'-10", 185lbs generally reasonably lean, mildly muscled, except for the regrettably middle-aged middle ...

Not really a fan of the hyper stretchy suits as I seem to need to spend forever fighting with it to go on straight and smoothing out all of the wrinkles, and I'm concerned about the durability under repeated crush.

For a 3mm, I ended up with the WaterProof W4 in "L" and like the quality and the fit is reasonable - Deep 6 wasn't an option I was really considering due to being brand new, and no ankle/wrist zips in the 3mm. That thread if you are interested: 3mm Fullsuit time ... ScubPro/SubGear Definition vs. Waterproof W3

My top two contenders are the Deep6 vs. WaterProof W4 7mm. I like the ankle, wrist, (and front neck on the WP) zips for ease of don/doff and the ability to open them up for some thermal regulation in warmer water. Both seem well lined.

I know the W4 will be a good solid suit. If the fit runs the same as the W3, a "L" will be a little looser than I'd prefer everywhere except through the chest and shoulders. From the size chart, I'm not sure if a "ML" would be just right everywhere or end up too tight in the chest/shoulders. Of course I'd have to go to Chicago to try on a "ML" as far as I can tell - Leisurepro is the only relatively close dealer, but only stock S, M, L, XL, XXL in the 7mm. + Optional "WPAD" Accessory Pocket.

The Deep6 looks like a great value with tons of features. ++ for Kevlar pads. The pockets are an unknown for me - I'm not sure if I'll be comfortable moving stuff off my waist and onto my legs or not. it seems like it could be annoying.

Has anybody actually used both of these? Is either closer to a semi-dry? Specific Pros or Cons?

TIA

Pockets are essential for us who dive with bp/w I install them on all my exposure suits.

As for which both are high quality so it comes down to which fits you best. I fall into the hard to fit category so it takes me a while to find a suit that actually fits right.

is the shop not able to lend you a fusion or solaflx while you wait for your new liner?

Pockets are essential for us who dive with bp/w I install them on all my exposure suits.

As for which both are high quality so it comes down to which fits you best. I fall into the hard to fit category so it takes me a while to find a suit that actually fits right.
I have OMS 3-Cavity pockets on my BP/W waist-belt now and it is just enough space for my always-there items, but they are bulky. I'm not sure if having the stuff on my legs is "better" ...

is the shop not able to lend you a fusion or solaflx while you wait for your new liner?
Ha! I wish. No stock in my size at the shop. I ordered my Fusion last September for the same end of season diving and it it took AL well into December to ship it. My instructors schedule finally freed up enough in August to start my DS course and the damn thing leaked worse and worse each dive. I am not the only one in the queue, either.

If you have any specific questions, I can answer, but obviously I am biased towards my choice. lol

I love the Hollis neotek 6/7/8 semidry. I dive it with air temps in 50's and water temps down to high 30's

If you have any specific questions, I can answer, but obviously I am biased towards my choice. lol

Not to hijack thread but I am In the market too had been strongly considering Hollis semi-dry. Would love to hear what you think are the D6s advantages over the Hollis.

I love the Hollis neotek 6/7/8 semidry. I dive it with air temps in 50's and water temps down to high 30's
Not to hijack thread but I am In the market too had been strongly considering Hollis semi-dry. Would love to hear what you think are the D6s advantages over the Hollis.

@MrBigfins & @loosenit2 ,

No, Hijack. I almost put the Hollis NeoTek in the thread originally as it was hovering in the 'different, but maybe' category. A couple of the guys that I was diving with last weekend have and like them. Price is in the same category (unlike Waterproof's Semi-Dry at $800+ :eek:). The biggest negative is no ankle/wrist zippers. The hood is a pro and con - good for limiting water ingress, but bad from a surface-comfort perspective.

If I didn't already have (well, expect to eventually "have") a DrySuit, I'd be considering the NeoTek. I think a good "standard" 7mm better bridges the gaps between my 3mm fullsuit; 5mm short-leg, long-sleeve, step-in jacket; and Fusion DS.

So I agree, @LandonL D6 7mm vs. NeoTek and W4 7mm - Go ...:wink: feel free to toot the D6 horn!

I have the Hollis semidry. I have a similar build to you, but I’m shorter and bigger around the waist...generally 44 jacket, 36 waist 30 inseam. Got the XL-S. It fits and works well, but before the first dive one land it’s a tight squeeze in the arms, if you’ve got a fair amount of muscle there.

Also I’m not sure where all the hero’s come from. I used it last weekend at 60 f, and felt chilly in the water. Surface temp was also 60 and was fine there. I think I can probably use it to 55 or so, and below that maybe wouldn’t kill me, but I wouldn’t enjoy it.
I plan to use the suit for 55-72 f diving. Being cold sucks.

I have the Hollis semidry. I have a similar build to you, but I’m shorter and bigger around the waist...generally 44 jacket, 36 waist 30 inseam. Got the XL-S. It fits and works well, but before the first dive one land it’s a tight squeeze in the arms, if you’ve got a fair amount of muscle there.

Also I’m not sure where all the hero’s come from. I used it last weekend at 60 f, and felt chilly in the water. Surface temp was also 60 and was fine there. I think I can probably use it to 55 or so, and below that maybe wouldn’t kill me, but I wouldn’t enjoy it.
I plan to use the suit for 55-72 f diving. Being cold sucks.
Not a hero, just run warm normally. Goodness if I dove the Hollis in 72 degree water I would die of heat exhaustion. I dive a 3 mm full from 70 to 76 then a shorty. Anything above 78 is rash guard and board shorts. Once water temps drop below 45ish I will bring my thermolution undershirt along.

The hood is a con on surface but a plus at depth. For hood I simply wait until ready to go under to Don it. Lack of ankle zippers a con, lack of zippers at wrist a non issue. Limited water ingress because of no zippers is a massive plus. Chest zip is super nice, can be rough to remove suit by yourself as I normally get help to get one elbow out. Suit has held up well for 3 seasons, so longevity so far has been good. I refuse to go dry, so it was a great fit for my needs. With you situation, YMMV

Back
Top Bottom