71year old polio victim reaches dive 600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Super! :dazzler1:

This is the best proof that there is very little that can not be done if you only want it strong enough.
I wish him many more safe dives

I just sent that article to a 70-ish friend who was partially paralyzed in an automobile accident but wants to learn how to dive. Very inspirational!

Dr. Bill

My mother had polio, and because of of some 'therapy' when she was a child (throw the kid in the water and make her swim, even if it hurts and is difficult), she doesn't like water very much. Although she is far less troubled than the man in this story, she can walk but one leg is shorter than the other, her left arm and hand a weak etc., water still scares her, but she did learn to swim. I learned to swim right after I learned to walk, I think as part of a vicarious thing, but I am thankful. This story sure hits home with me.

It's unfortunate, but Polio was the last real disease cured, 50-some-odd-years ago...

Geddes:
It's unfortunate, but Polio was the last real disease cured, 50-some-odd-years ago...
There are lots of cases of polio in Africa. Wild polio strains have never been completely eliminated. A better candidate for last real disease cured is smallpox. There hasn't been a worldwide case in 27 years. We don't even get immunized for it anymore. It seems to only exist in the lab now.

Huge kudos to this guy! Thats so awesome!!! I hope that he can keep diving for a long time! :dazzler1:

The course director in our club is disabled from polio, too. Less than this guy, as he has just one leg touched, but he usually uses braces for this leg (but not at the swimming pool). I have a lot of admiration for these people who overcome disabilities.

That's pretty far out! Nice to see other people going diving that have obstacles to overcome. Despite the obstacles I have to overcome related to my muscular dystrophy I am farther along with my diving dream than most people thought I would be. I hope he gets to dive for a long time. If I had a choice I would dive all. the. time. Sincerely, Matt :11:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Back
Top Bottom