7/8 Thread K Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I just purchased a pressed steel hp 100 that only comes with a 7/8 thread din valve. I now need to find a 7/8 thread k valve for it. Anyone know where I can find one? I've run searches but have come up empty.
NightDiver

Yoke regulators and HP tanks don't mix well - that's why it comes with a DIN valve! DIN valves are designed to handle the higher pressures.

Assuming you own your own regulator, the DIN converter for your regulator will probably cost less than a new valve for the tank. Usually the regulator conversion is something you can do yourself with a wrench and a hex-key (I recently converted one of my own) - if you pull a valve out of a tank, the tank really should be visually inspected by an LDS, the same as if you'd accidently let the tank run down to 0 psi.

Originally posted by NightDiver
Hi,
I just purchased a pressed steel hp 100 that only comes with a 7/8 thread din valve. I now need to find a 7/8 thread k valve for it. Anyone know where I can find one? I've run searches but have come up empty.
NightDiver
as far as I know there are no yoke valves made for HP tanks (yokes are only rated at 3300psi max).. the reason for using a different size neck thread is to prevent what you are trying to do.. go get your reg converted.. and buy a yoke adapter for when you want to use yokes.

I've always dove with aluminum 80's and the size fits my body well. Recently I tried out an aluminum 100 out and the air at 3000psi was just right for the kind of diving I do sometimes. So I want a 100 the size of an 80 and plan on pressurizing it to 3000psi. I fill my tanks at work and that's the max I can get anyways. I don't want to change my first stage because my other tanks are yoke, and I'll dive more than one tank a night. Just because a hp 100 is rated to 3500psi, doesn't me a person every plans to pressurize it up past 3300psi. I just don't want to have to drop down to 2500psi for a lp100. I don't want to mess around in the middle of the night converting a din 1st stage to yoke and back. Also I hear about problems with getting water in your system with din setup.

The tank is being mailed to me, so the valve out and needs to be vip anyways.

once you convert your reg to din, using it on a yoke tanks is quite simple.. you just screw on the yoke adapter, if it took you more than an additional 30 seconds I'd be surprised.. Some regs even come only as din with an adapter.. namely poseidon.. Its a much superior connection and much less likely to o ring problems. On many classes I teach I don't even allow yoke regs, the only exception is for a deco bottle IF the person carries a yoke adapter so in an emergency one of the din regs from back gas could be swapped underwater to the deco bottle..

BTW a HP 100 filled to 3000 is just under 86 cu ft, at 3300 its about 94 cuft... your standard "80" is actually 77 at 3000psi
a standard 80 is approximately 26 inches long by 7.25 diameter, a compact 80 is approx 25" by 7.25" in diameter and a fill pressure of 3300psi

a lp 98 is 24" by 8" in diameter
while a lp 108 is 26" by 8" in diameter
a plus is that you'll be able to take a few lbs off your weight belt..

I'm convinced. I'll switch my first stage to din and get the yoke adapter. Now the question is where can I find the best price for a yoke adapter?

Back
Top Bottom