6wks Diving and Climbing in Thailand... where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning ~6wks in Thailand starting ~ 4 Feb, 18. I'm going to dive and rock climb and looking for a general itinerary to maximize both and minimize travel. Maybe stay a few places for a few weeks at a time.

I've got >500 dives logged so not looking for 'beginner' trips or cattle-boats. Honestly diving is secondary for this trip but I'll have my gear as I'm heading to Raja Ampat after Thailand.

I know the better climbing locations are Phi Phi, Tonsai/Railey and Chang Mai.

I'm traveling with my non-climber, non-diver, non-dirtbagging wife so accommodations need to be 'decent'... not 5-star but also not the super budget either.

Thanks!
Jeremy

You already know that for the combination of diving and rock climbing you have to go to Phi Phi and/or Railey. So what is the question?

Where else to go? How long to stay each place? Where to stay? Who to dive with?

I can't answer your first two questions, but when you ask
Who to dive with?
I want to jump up and wave my hand wildly and say "Me" (imagine Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter). Six weeks of belaying, flailing up limestone, and diving? Sure. Unfortunately, I can't.

Have a great trip.

Where else to go? How long to stay each place? Where to stay? Who to dive with?
Im still a bit confused, do you want to go to places together with your wife, do you want to go to non-diving -places, or diving only p-laces?

If diving only, a liveaboard to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock would be the thing to do, or maybe leave out Similans to make it a bit shorter trip. For non-diving, you have plenty of time to see a big part of Thailand.

Since you're going to Raja Ampat after Thailand and have a non-diving wife with you, why not just stick to some diving from Phi Phi and Railey, and do the diving later on in your trip?

I'm wondering what the better places for diving are - land based, not LOB - so I can get in some diving on the trip. She is more than happy to sit on a beach or explore on her own while I suck down a couple tanks here and there. And if there is good snorkeling she would love to do that.
If Phi Phi and Railey have their own decent diving that may be enough. But I'd like to have a fairly good itinerary and likely even lodging bookings fairly soon (trips before/after kinda depend on that) so I am looking for info on the 'must dive' locations and seeing how these fit into a trip. I dont want to move around too much as we will have a little to much gear, so I'd like to pick ~3 places to stay for a couple weeks each.

I've only spend one long layover in Bangkok so very unfamiliar with Thailand - diving and climbing - all I know has been from recent interwebs searches.

Thus far, I think we plan to fly into Phuket and explore that area for ~1wk? Not a climbing area but some diving, and we've heard great things (and will be coming from a month of climbing in Mexico so could use a break) Maybe do a couple days into Similans from there?

Then ferry to Phi Phi for 2wk to climb and dive. Then up to Railey for the same. Then up to Chiang Mai for ~2wks of climbing/touristing. So I think we have our 'home bases' determined, but its a little undetermined about how long at each place and where to seek out the diving. I can't climb every day - 4d/wk is plenty... Pretty much have 6wks total. She can have more time to do touristy things later while I'm in Raja Ampat.

So given those bases, where should I dive (and with who)? And non-diving/climbing (touristy) things to do.

Also quick question about a car in Phuket? I've driven all sorts of places, but never in SE Asia - I'm thinking Manila or Jakarta or something but reviews say to rent a car so I'm sure it's not like that and driving is reasonable - just want to confirm that. I do have an international DL. We can't do the motorcycle rental as she wont be able to use it (she has some muscular issues).

Thanks!
J

Last edited:
Similans from Phuket is doable on a daytrip but quit far. There are no diving options while staying on the islands. You should also do a daytrip to Racha Noi from Phuket. Not the best diving but decent enough, and a really good place for the combination of you diving and she snorkeling.

For the South Andaman I would stick to your plan of Phi Phi and Railey. You may want to add Khao Lak as a place for some daytrips to Tachai or Richelieu Rock, really good diving there. And again, from Phuket possible but limited options and a long day.

Hmm on this one I'd say base yourself in Ao Nang, go see Climbing Jane on walking street Railay for climbing, dive with Poseidon Dive Academy and stay at the Krabi Playa.

ETA - Don't hire a car in Thailand. I've driven in Thailand, not worth the hassle when taxis and ferrys are so cheap. Thais are worse drivers than Vietnamese but not as bad as Hungarians.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom