67mm macro wet lens on GoPro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Out of curiosity, would somehow attaching a M67 diopter in front of a GoPro be any good for macro videos????

I have a photography setup that I've been using for years now consiscting of a Sony A5100 camera in meikon case, with an inon +6 and a Subsee +10 diopter (both M67) and two sea&sea strobes. The said setup is practically limited to macro shots and I am thinking to try things in wide angle and video by moving to a GoPro based setup. But since I am not done yet with macro I don't want to abandone it yet. There are few more nudibranchs in my area that I haven't photographed and God knows what else I might encounter during my next dive after all.

As I was looking at my old setup, thinking what I am going to do with it, I thought that if I could somehow attach the diopter(s) in front of the GoPro I should be able to get some decent macro shots, isn't it?

What might not work is the "digital lenses" that GoPro is using to produce these 16:9 (or even wider) videos, because these combined with a diopter might introduce heavy distortion at the edges. But in GoPro 11 I read that the sensor has an aspect ratio of 8/7 (almost square) and the user has the option to record in this format. That should work pretty nicely with a diopter, isn't it??

Can you think of any other reasons this might not work???

Of course there is also the problem of how to attach these (comparatively huge) lenses in front of a GoPro, but if it works I will think of something. I wonder has anybody tried it?? Any results (good or bad)??

Thanks a lot

Tikanis, Stepfen! Sounds like you're wanting to try to adapt some SLR-type (or similar) lenses to GoPro for macro? I shoot macro with my GoPro and have had pretty good results. I have never used the types of lenses you referred to, but I do use lenses that are designed to work with a GoPro. I have provided a link below. The Backscatter FLIP lenses allow you add an attachment that holds a macro lens allowing you to use the macro lens when you want and then rotate it out of the way to shoot regular wide shots. Backscatter has a 55mm lens and also a +15 attachment that screws onto that if you want that magnification. My experience is it works well.

Backscatter Underwater GoPro, Lenses - Backscatter

I also starting using the Flip Filters system on my GP 10. I have the Close Up on one flipper and the +15 Macromate on the other. Happy with the results so far.

The Flip Filters use 55mm threads. You might be able to buy a 55 - 67 adapter and use your lens on the Flip Filters 55mm holder.

Don't know what Gopro you have but the 10 has a "narrow" lens setting that works when using the macro lens.

Back
Top Bottom