~6 Day diving detour on Asia trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to make a January trip from SFO to Shanghai and Seoul, and can fit in a ~6 day dive trip while on that side of the world. I would prefer to keep the added travel fairly easy and not too long, and want to in get as much diving as possible.
My Asia diving experience has been Anilao 2x and loved it, Komodo/Bali 3x- loved that too. I can add the diving on either end of the trip. Night life etc. are not too important, but some variety would be interesting. Anilao was like a land based live aboard which was fine as well.
My current thinking is SFO to MNL- back to Anilao again or Puerto Galera then back through Shanghai and Seoul. I really want to go deeper into Indo, but that will be on a longer trip some other time.
I mostly like the small stuff, but also coral, sharks etc.- even some wrecks are all good too. I tend to enjoy all of the diving I do.
What would you do? Thanks for thoughts and ideas!

Malapascua for thresher shark.
Probably not enough time to dive Coron or Southern Leyte.
PG has a bit of everything including watering hole and restaurant, complete opposite from Anilao

Okinawa would also be an option, lots of cheap flights to and from Seoul.

If money is an issue, Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia has many cheap flights from Seoul, and dirt cheap diving, like 20 bucks s dive or less. Good for getting a lot of time underwater, but maybe not so interesting. You could also go to Sipidan from KK.

Puerto Galera would be my choice for the amount of time you have and would be a new Philippines experience for you.

Thanks for the ideas all! I had never looked at Okinawa before, so thanks for that introduction. I may have a Japan trip in the future so that would be a nice detour!
My January work plans are firming up now, so it looks like I'll have to figure out diving- and quickly!
Is the seaplane to PG worth it? *Not trying to skimp on $$.
And, what would be considered "the best" places to stay and dive with in PG?

Thinking along the lines of flights and short time span... have you thought about Phuket / Similans?
I used to live on Phuket and know there are direct flights to both Shanghai and Incheon.
You could look into a few days Similans or Southern thailand liveaboard? definitely not as exciting as komodo or macro hot as anilao but a decent mix with good corals, some macro, some sharks, maybe mantas...and less internal travel required, just an airport transfer from Phuket international. Though other divers are to be expected!

Thanks for the ideas all! I had never looked at Okinawa before, so thanks for that introduction. I may have a Japan trip in the future so that would be a nice detour!
My January work plans are firming up now, so it looks like I'll have to figure out diving- and quickly!
Is the seaplane to PG worth it? *Not trying to skimp on $$.
And, what would be considered "the best" places to stay and dive with in PG?
If money is no object and weather is fine then it is OK with the seaplane.
The place that most divers referred as PG is in fact Sabang Beach and its two neighbouring beaches Small and Big La Laguna Beach. Sabang Beach is filthy and the sand is BLACK. In low tide you have to wade through the mud to board the dive boat. Small La Laguna Beach is better but the sandy strip is so narrow that on high tide it is no more than couple of feet wide. The tiny Big La Luna Beach is clean and the cordon off swimming area is big. Only three dive resorts there and if you do want to splash then La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre is the place. They have some really fancy rooms.
Rooms and Rates – La Laguna Beach Club & Dive Centre

I won't say their dive shop is the best but I really do not know which one in Sabang can beat them.
If you do make it to PG then you should ask to dive Horse's Head(36m). And if you want to embarrass the dm then ask him/her to take you there at slow ebb tide!!!!!!

I thought PG wasn't too bad below the surface if you are diving with an shop who do their best to avoid the crowds (entirely impossible in PG but at least minimise them) but I'm no fan of Sabang topside - way too crowded, dirty, tad on the sleazy side, no watermelons) and would dive with South Sea Divers again. A Verde trip didn't disappoint....and it's cheap. If you're into drift diving the Manilla Express is great fun and the Canyons isn't a bad dive site.

A similans LOB with Richeleiu included is also a suggestion I'd second. Or you could do a quick connect out of Singapore into Manado and have your choice of Lembeh Bangka and/or Bunaken.

Lembeh Bitung-side or Manado-side minimises transfer time. There are excellent operations on both sides of the peninsular. You could be in the water within a few hours of landing, eg land at lunch time, dive before tea. Look for good ops that will put you in the water with a dive guide to see the house reef, so you don't have to worry about missing the boat. Then get on the boat for a night dive. To get to the operations on Lembeh island takes a little longer because you have to get their transfer boat across from Bitung.
Bunaken and Bangka transfers take much longer - ie hours.

Back
Top Bottom