(6/19/05) Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just read in the paper today that a diver died at Windy Point, Lake Travis TX. Has anybody heard anything about it?

FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER SITE (www.chumclub.com)

Solo diver was found floating on surface of Lake Travis off Windy Point Park (didn't say wether it was the public or private park). Seen from shore by sunbathers, pulled from water by divers. Sherrif's dept and Starflight called to scene CPR performed. Pt pronounced Dead on Scene around 1:15pm, Medical Examiner's report pending. I'll post more as I get it. This was condensed from several news reports.

A little more info from the grapevine: (Extremely preliminary) The diver was diving solo and not certified for that. He had an AL 80 and his computer, which is locked out for 48 hours, show a max depth of 167 feet. The information that they were able to get off the computer so far is that his ascent rate from 167 feet to the surface was 33 seconds. His tank was empty and his bc was full due to normal expansion.

shaggie:
I just read in the paper today that a diver died at Windy Point, Lake Travis TX. Has anybody heard anything about it?
This is being discussed in the Swamp Divers forum HERE.

The name of the victim has been identified and the only new news is a preliminary autopsy report that lists cause of death as "fresh water drowning." The official report wont be out until Tues. or Wed.

justin-branam:
FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER SITE (www.chumclub.com)

A little more info from the grapevine: (Extremely preliminary) The diver was diving solo and not certified for that. He had an AL 80 and his computer, which is locked out for 48 hours, show a max depth of 167 feet. The information that they were able to get off the computer so far is that his ascent rate from 167 feet to the surface was 33 seconds. His tank was empty and his bc was full due to normal expansion.

I wonder if dive computers will ever be the equivalent of the "black box" flight recorder found on planes. Something as simple as a pulse monitor could give investigators alot of information. In this particular tragedy we would have been able to tell if he hit the max depth AFTER passing away or if it was the runaway ascent (5 ft/sec) that did it.

I also heard that he was at that depth for an extended period of time - 20 minutes or so and ditched his weights.

The tank was completely empty.

What on earth is anyone but a tech diver doing at 167 at Windy Point? Dark, cold and scarey.

I spoke with the guy that fills the tanks at Windy Point Scuba Park, he told me that the unfortunate diver went in alone, his tank was mounted upside down and his power inflator wasn't connected (couldn't reach). Of coarse, had he had a dive buddy with atleast some experiance his equipment problems would have been corrected. Whats more though, with the throng of people that are mostly present at the park I wonder how come nobody stopped him on the way to water to ask what the *******?

Diving solo is bad enough but especially in Windy Point. I did my advance deep dive there and have dived there many times after that. It is cold and dark starting at 90 ft. I wonder what was on that guys mind.

I am sorry for the diver and his family. Be careful out there while you are having fun folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom