5th Grade Science Fair Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I must say how cool it is that you and your son get to dive together. These will definitely be lasting memories.

Regarding the science project, I would have used a graduated cyliner or had markings on the jug to know specifically how much air (volume) is contained per trial run at depth (combined with Boyles Law) (also a weight hanging down to keep it vertical so the air expands and does not escape). I didn't notice a stop watch to specifically time each trial run. With the science projects, the more detailed you can make it, the better. Just some ideas if you still have time.... And it means more diving this weekend....:D

Nice idea for a science project. Good Luck.

Keith

The video itself was the timer. He filled the air to the label level for the half-full trials. The results were not perfect, because, as you indicated, air was spilling out on ascent and the erratic movement of the bottle sometimes spilled air and also made the bottle ascend sideway somtimes. But we basically got a 1 second difference (on average).

We will have to see what his teacher thinks.

Thanks for the kind words.

what was his grade on the project?
second I was ready to jump in on his reg recovery!
Third-nice to see redundancy ! but what freekin type of regs is he diving-Sherwood's dry bleed and great environmentally sealed regs ,but them were not Sherwood's and they seem to be bleeding more than a teaspoon full of air! enlighten me.

I think he got an A for the project.

I can't remember right now what kind of first stage he uses. Maybe it is a leaky sherwood first stage? If not, then it was probably a tank O-ring...

It took him a little while to do the reg retreival didn't it?? I think he will learn to allow the second stage to just fall across his forearm, rather than completely fall away. He has been trained from day one with a pony bottle, so I know his instinct will be to go for the pony reg around his neck if he ever has a problem with the primary second stage ( I hope anyway).

figured he got a > A! the reg recovery he did know were it was .
I dive redundant any thing I cant free swim to the surface and have not set my son up with redundant air & reg source yet as we are penut butter and jelley diving close !but he get's several fin kicks away from me all the time.
looks like the time for a pony as starting them out young IMO with self sufficient training and techniques,configurations as they get older I hope they will not get over confident?

Nice job on the video & the project.

In the S&R course we teach inflating the lift bag with your AAS regulator. Was that considered or tried? Then he wouldn't have had to remove his primary from his mouth.

figured he got a > A! the reg recovery he did know were it was .
I dive redundant any thing I cant free swim to the surface and have not set my son up with redundant air & reg source yet as we are penut butter and jelley diving close !but he get's several fin kicks away from me all the time.
looks like the time for a pony as starting them out young IMO with self sufficient training and techniques,configurations as they get older I hope they will not get over confident?

I started his training very early with the use of a 6 cu-ft pony bottle. It is so small that it presents no problem for him. He has never had an octopus, he is rigged with 2 second stages one to the pony around his neck and a primary one. He is pretty good at buddy breathing and I am rigged similarly to him. I am constantly drilling him that if he has a problem with his regulator, go to the pony bottle, don't signal me or do anything else, just get on the pony bottle and THEN let me know that there's a problem.

Nice job on the video & the project.

In the S&R course we teach inflating the lift bag with your AAS regulator. Was that considered or tried? Then he wouldn't have had to remove his primary from his mouth.

I totally left it up to him as to how to conduct the experiment. He wouldn't use an AAS because the only one he has was a little pony and would not want to waste that. I thought he probably should have used the purge button to inflate the bottles, but maybe he felt like he could control the air flow easier with exhaling into the bottle?

Normally using an AAS would be preferable, I agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom