5mm wetsuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for a 5mm wetsuit for traveling and diving 20-28 deg C waters, but with some specific features (more on those in a minute).

A bit of background: I own and love the Mares Seal Skin 6mm suit. I would gladly take that suit, but there are two 'problems' with it.

1) It's a b*tch to take off. Especially the ankle bits are hell. They have zippers, but also glideskin inner cuffs that are just a PITA to get over the heels. Especially on liveaboards where you want to take off your suit quickly to get it dry before the next dive, doing that a few times a day isn’t something I look forward to. I am not at all worried about some water flushing in, so I don't need the glideskin cuffs on the suit I am trying to find for vacation temperatures.

2) The Seal Skin suit is quite heavy. In my size (5/L) it weighs in at 2.8 kg (dry). And since I am looking for a travel-friendly suit, that’s not ideal.

So what am I looking for then?
  • 5mm full-length wetsuit
  • Easy to don and especially doff
  • Preferably ankle zippers, but without an inner cuff (zips are not a must, but I feel they really help in the easy doffing department - minus the inner cuffs, that is)
  • No wrist zips
  • Straight vertical back zip
  • No fixed hood
  • Not too heavy (< 2 kg)
I have googled my *ss off, and have only found one suit that ticks all these boxes: Waterproof W50. But it is € 330 or more. I have no problem with investing in a quality suit. But the design of the W50 is very basic. Not a problem either. But other ‘very basic’ suits (that mostly tick all but one of the aforementioned boxes) are in the € 200-250 range. I feel that with Waterproof, I only pay more because they are from Sweden.

Any other suits that should be on my radar?

I don’t know of any suits WITH ankle zips but NO wrist zips. What’s your body type? I’m 6,2” 200 and the scuba pro sport steamer 5mm fits me great. It does have both ankle and wrist zips though. Easy to don and doff with a straight back zip.

About 8 years ago I got a 5mm Henderson Aqualock. I have been very happy with it. It is the only wetsuit I use for thermal protection. Anything lighter and I don't need a wetsuit for thermal. Anything that it isn't warm enough for I am in a drysuit. I hear the new liner is even better. Fit is great. No issues getting it on or off. I would get it again if I lost it. Doesn't feel that heavy, but I don't have a good way of weighing it.

But it does have zips at both ankles and wrists. Everything I have ever seen is a both or none. Don't recall ever seeing a suit that only had ankle zips without wrist. For that you are probably going to have to go to a custom built suit.

Hi @Cheizz,

Here is ours - you can select leg zips separately, as well as several other options. There are no inner gaskets under the zips. We do have stock sizes but depending on your measurements you'll probably want to consider custom for best fit.

If I can answer any questions just let me know!

Kind regards,
Derek

I dive a BARE Velocity 5mm, which appears to meet most of your criteria.

Thanks for the replies so far. If I have to choose, I would take no zips over both ankle and wrist zips. As long as the legs come off (much) easier than the Seal Skin suit.

I have the W50 and while I can’t speak to it’s value for money (all suits are expensive here so it’s about par) it’s a good suit that’s worked for me for a while. Though it mostly gets used when travelling, obviously.

Waterproof 5mm has ankle zips, but no wrist zips.
Its a very good suit, but it has no seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom