5HP outboard motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickbobst

New
Reaction score
Greetings fellow water lovers. I have a question about having a 12' boat with a 5HP motor. Do I need a license for this size motor. I have heard several different things however do not want to take any chances. Any information is greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

I live in Okinawa for the next couple of years and have to get out on the water, and it is hard to get accurate information.

Boat Licenses | Sail-Okinawa

This site says you must have a license to operate a boat in Japan. It doesn't specify motor size.
Maybe you could get away without one if you just use it on a small private pond, like in the US. But in public waterways most countries require licensing.

I remember as a kid, water skiing behind a 12 foot aluminum boat with a 10 hp Johnson.

I am looking to just cruise around the small Islands until I get my licence. They only give the exam twice a year in English and after that I will grab a larger motor. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom