58 years young--what can I expect ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started at 45 and still going at 56.

Use the wisdom you have gained over the years. It applies here perfectly.

When some diver has to tell you all about the places he has been and the great dives he has done that you could never do, just smile knowingly and think of your plans. Some people take this activity as a perfect opportunity for one-upsmanship.

When some dive operator tells you that this dive (that is way beyound your training and comfort level) is the dive, so get to it, don't. You can thumb any dive.

One day, possibly soon, you will meet that big mouth diver on the boat, like the one in the first example, but he will go on more about his diving certs, skills and fantastic experience. Again, smile knowingly because those who are actually good don't need to tell you so. Then, stay away from him in the water.

Wow--thanks all of you for the great words of encouragement and advice ! My wife, 57, is also newly certified after a 30 year hiatus and I hope to be diving with her as my main buddy. She had "an issue" on first dive after the cert (I'm going to ask about it in a separate thread) but we're working on it and we expect to have her diving again soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom