5510.45 With an 8" Dome Port Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have an older Nikon D-200 I use with a 5510.45 that flooded back a few years ago. I had the housing serviced by Ikelite (around 300 usd) and I have just gotten it out for a trip. I recall that I had an issue with the dome port attachment and what I thought to be an engineering / attachment issue. I just found a spacer in a box and it is threaded on both ends. Was this some remedy to allow the dome port to be manually clipped on? I can't recall ever seeing this part before, and am wondering if it was sent along after my flooding incident?
When I try to detatch the existing collar on the dome port it will not budge. I was attempting to install the wider collar (extension?)and attach the dome port. Any assistance / suggestions would be appreciated.

---------- Post Merged at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

HMM, if only I could get *it* off (there is nothing to hold)

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dabigadoma.html
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dabigadoma.html

You will need a strap wrench to disassemble the port body from the dome. You may find it easier if you soak the port assembly in distilled hot water. This will help dissolve any salt crystals that may have built up in the threads or o-ring. I have designed a special wrench that will fit the port if you can not get it off with the strap wrench.

Thank you!

actually it has never been in the water (it was serviced by Ikelite )

Question: is the extension I found in the box to accomodate a larger lense or to remedy the design attachment of the 8" port (because I can't reach the clips ???)

I am leaving Friday, so I am getting antsy about having a housing. I have an older one for the D-100 but don't have time to buy another D-100 on e-bay. I was hoping to use my D-200 with the new housing.

Can I just use the one that is stuck on there? I find the attachment sort of dubious because it spins freely. ( and I flooded a few grand last use) I used the other housing for four solid years and thought I was "flood proof" brilliant.

I guess if I can get insured I will give it a go. USAA is quoting 60/ year.

Last edited:
The extension is used for different lenses.

Port ExtensionsPort Extensions can be added to any Port Body and Dome or Flat Assembly combination to extend the overall length of the port.
#5510.50
#5510.54
#5510.58
0.75" (1.9cm) Extension
1.25" (3.1cm) Extension
1.75" (4.4cm) Extension
$100
$125
$125
Extension length is added to overall lens length accommodated by a given port combination.

You will find it help full to study this page. Nikon SLR Port Chart

And read these manuals:
Zoom Clamp & Sleeve Installation
#5510.09 ... Superwide Locking Device

#5510.11 ... Superwide Port Body
#5510.45 ... 8" Dome Assembly
#5510.75 ... Modular Focus Extension

Other manuals are located here: Product Instruction Manuals

Thanks, but I am stuck (so to speak) with what is on the body at this late date.

Is the super large dome supposed to move freely after is it screwed on?

where are you located?

Explain move freely?

---------- Post Merged at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:50 PM ----------

what port do you have installed? http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/uportid.html

SoCal at the moment

leaving for BVI

well, the dome port screws into place but not tightly and it rocks slightly (I think Ikelite told me after the flood that the pressure is supposed to secure it as you descend) There is no room for my hands to reach the clips that slide forward as on my other less wide port dome.

I ordered the largest dome port for my fish eye. I can possibly use the smaller port and only shoot my 12-24 mm, assuming it can attach with this collar that is stuck. (maybe not?)

checking the part number for what is stuck....

I can't open your PDFs for some reason on this computer

---------- Post Merged at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:55 AM ----------

The ring that is stuck is actually stuck inside the large dome port. (8") cannot see a number but it is the shortest one (threaded both ends)

So, I can screw it onto the body (as before, when it flooded)

I was hoping that I could use the extension ring 5510.22 because then I think I can get to the clips which I like pressed forward.

Back
Top Bottom