500 PSI Defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

500 PSI is the best stuff. I have tried everything else.

Apply a thin layer of the 500 PSI paste and let it dry on the mask if you have time. Right before diving, rinse the mask and lightly wipe with a finger. GOOD TO GO!

It is thick, I use about a quarter of a drop total, split between both lenses, and let it dry before rinsing. Works so well that even if I forget to apply it, often it still is working from the last time.

Ok, it's scubaboard so lets derail this a little bit, plus I'm bored and curious.

I have never tried 500 psi I got the defog at my OW used it a bit then switched to J&J baby shampoo.

So has anyone tried both 500 psi and J&J baby shampoo? If so how did they compare back to back?

I use toothpaste to clean a new mask, baby shampoo thereafter for antifog.
I worked in a dive shop long time ago. some were famous for upselling, moving you to a higher priced item or extras you really did not need. A few years back, I tended a display for a local dive shop at an outdoor hobby show. I was asked to sell not only defog but a mask scrubbing product as well. You could buy a mask a year fr 20 yeard and never use the amount of product in the bottle. I said to the shop owner "why? toothpaste and baby shampoo work just as well and is less expensive." He grumbled and said, "I own a dive shop not a health and beauty shop."

I pee in my mask to keep the fog down, and spit in my wetsuit to stay warm.

Ok, it's scubaboard so lets derail this a little bit, plus I'm bored and curious.

I have never tried 500 psi I got the defog at my OW used it a bit then switched to J&J baby shampoo.

So has anyone tried both 500 psi and J&J baby shampoo? If so how did they compare back to back?

I have used both and honestly not a fan of baby shampoo it's never worked well for me. I seem to always have some water in my mask due to facial hair so I think baby shampoo gets washed out over a longer dive but 500 psi doesn't. I was given two large sample bottles of 500 psi 15 years ago and I'm still using it so it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

I have used both and honestly not a fan of baby shampoo it's never worked well for me. I seem to always have some water in my mask due to facial hair so I think baby shampoo gets washed out over a longer dive but 500 psi doesn't. I was given two large sample bottles of 500 psi 15 years ago and I'm still using it so it doesn't get much cheaper than that.
I think my bottle was $6 and it's still half full after 50 dives and at least that many pool sessions. Plus at the beginning I used way more than necessary. If it helps you see 5% better, for me it's worth the few pennies. I think there's about 200 applications in the small 57mL bottle. And it doesn't hurt my eyes at all.

I recently switched from 500psi to baby shampoo, I think 500psi is a little better for defogging but baby shampoo works almost as well and avoids the residue. IMO both are good solutions. Never had consistently good success with some of the other brands of purpose made defoggers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom