500 PSI Defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ched03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is the 500 PSI Defog supposed to be super thick? I bought the kit with the scrub and the defog. The scrub seemed to be the viscosity that I thought it would be and I don't think I had any issues scrubbing our 3 new masks. When it came to putting on the defog, it was super thick. I actually had to have my husband squeeze some out on the masks for me. I spread it around and tried to rinse it but it wouldn't come off very well without rubbing and then it still seemed to leave a residue that is might be a pain to see through. Do I really need to rub it a lot while rinsing? That doesn't seem to make sense if that is the case because I would think you would want to leave the coating on the mask itself.

Yes, it's thick like a silicone paste. I prefer flaming a new mask to remove residue and then buy a bottle of baby shampoo which costs a few bucks and works better. A couple drops mixed with water before the dive and you'll have a lifetime supply of defog. Side benefit you can wash up after a dive.

Yes, it's thick like a silicone paste. I prefer flaming a new mask to remove residue and then buy a bottle of baby shampoo which costs a few bucks and works better. A couple drops mixed with water before the dive and you'll have a lifetime supply of defog. Side benefit you can wash up after a dive.

Exact same except I don't dilute it, figure it's cheap enough it's not worth the hassle.

Exact same except I don't dilute it, figure it's cheap enough it's not worth the hassle.
I have heard that baby shampoo can degrade the silicone of the mask. This is not just coming from the shop but online videos as well. Have you not experienced this?

I have heard that baby shampoo can degrade the silicone of the mask. This is not just coming from the shop but online videos as well. Have you not experienced this?

Nope not at all

Me too, flame the glass lens to remove the residue off the new mask then use baby shampoo. I have the mask for 5 years now and don't see any degradation of the silicone skirt. The mask still seal around my face well.

To keep the mask from fogging while diving just don't exhale through your nose. If you exhale through your nose, you just basically steam up the cool glass surface. As the steam condenses on the lens, the baby shampoo film that you made before diving would simply wash away.

Think I agree with formernuke saying no. I've been using it for years. I smear some on the lens and wipe clean-- don't think any really gets on the mask skirting. Then of course a thorough rinse after the dive.

Think I agree with formernuke saying no. I've been using it for years. I smear some on the lens and wipe clean-- don't think any really gets on the mask skirting. Then of course a thorough rinse after the dive.

I smear it on after it drys from the rinse. It drys on there usually, next dive just a quick rinse and no issues. If I forget and it fogs I just do a mask flood and clear drill.

The 500 PSI mask cleaning is great. Using it and rubbing it in with a finger, maybe a couple of times, until it really is squeaky clean. No flame job needed. A touch of defog and all is good.

I often fought fogging issues until I was given a bottle of the 500 PSI mask cleaner. Once I used it fogging issues were gone, one of the best gifts I ever got. Every year or so I start getting a little fog, just clean again. It really makes the defog work like it should.

I use 500 psi and yes it is thick but you only need to use a small amount I’ve been using it for 15 years and love it. Flaming your mask works good but be careful some lenses have coatings on them and it can ruin the coating. Also if you overheat the lens you can change the temper of the glass and crack it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom