50" LG Plasma Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swheeler25

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 50" LG Plasma that stopped working and I wanted to know if anyone had any insight into why this may have happened. First off, it is out of warranty so sending it in is not an option.

There seemed to be a power surge or something, because when I woke up that morning no lights worked. When I got home from work, all lights were back on, but the TV would not turn on. The LED light in the front is red, showing its getting power, but not turned on. When click the on button, the LED light turns white like it is powering up, then there is a click and it turns off (back to red). When its tries to turn on, the screen goes from black( tv is completely turned off) to black( the screen has power but remains a black). I checked and tested all the ceramic fuses in the back and they all work fine. I didn't see any burns or fry marks either. Any suggestions?

It costs 100 just to have an LG repair shop look at it, but if I don't have any luck here I think that may be my only option. Has anyone had a similar situation happen to them, and what did you do?

Thanks

Scott

Have you tried changing the input mode? If there was indeed a power outage, your TV may have reverted back to the default input; which may be a different input that your TV signal is wired to.

No, I havn't. I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. It can't be the A/V input your talking about, because I need to be able to turn on the TV in order to navigate between those?

I've tried unplugging for 15 minutes and then holding the power button for 30+ seconds with no luck. Is there some other way of changing the input mode or resetting the default settings?

Scott

Usually those types of TV's have buttons on the top or side. Often they include the Power, Volume, Channel and Menu buttons as well.

Your DVD player, VCR, cable/satellite, and/or gaming consoles are usually wired into different inputs. Even when the power is on, some of the newer TV's will show a blank/black screen when there is no signal coming to the input that it's currently set to. It's very frustrating, because it looks like the TV is broken. Make sure your cable/satellite box is powered on. If you have a DVD player, VCR, or gaming console, turn those on, too.

As Cave Diver said, look for the buttons on the side or top of the TV. One of the buttons should say "input" (your remote should also have an input button, too). Press that button and you should be able to see the various input modes flash up on the screen. Keep pressing that button and it will scroll through all the inputs until it gets to the one your cable/satellite signal is wired to. If your DVD, VCR, or gaming consoles are also on, you should see a picture when the TV gets to their input modes as well.

Sounds like a dead capacitor or something like that. I would take the tv off the wall, lay it on the ground, and take the back off and look for blown capacitors or other burned components.

I don't think it's just wrong input because the TV is shutting off before it can turn the panel on.

Sounds like a dead capacitor or something like that. I would take the tv off the wall, lay it on the ground, and take the back off and look for blown capacitors or other burned components.

I don't think it's just wrong input because the TV is shutting off before it can turn the panel on.

That's exactly what happens to the 46" plasma TV that we use at work for presentations. If there's no signal to the current input within the first few seconds, the TV powers off. :confused: Like I said in an earlier post, it's frustrating as hell, because you usually don't have a chance to scroll through the various inputs before it automatically powers off. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this feature. :idk: Seems a little technologically regressive. :dunce: I'm hoping, for the OP's sake, that it's something this simple.

I have already taken off the back and I couldn't find any sort of burn or scortch marks. Thats when I decided to test the cermaic fuses, all of which work fine still.

That's exactly what happens to the 46" plasma TV that we use at work for presentations. If there's no signal to the current input within the first few seconds, the TV powers off. Like I said in an earlier post, it's frustrating as hell, because you usually don't have a chance to scroll through the various inputs before it automatically powers off. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this feature. Seems a little technologically regressive. I'm hoping, for the OP's sake, that it's something this simple.

I will try this too. You are right, my TV turns back off before i have any sort of opportunity to change the input mode, but I will make an effort. thank you for the advise, and I will keep you posted if it does or dosen't work?

Scott

Back
Top Bottom