50 hr flight to/from Sorong - I must be crazy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
We are travelling from Toronto to/from Sorong in December. I just calculated the actual "in-air" flight time and it totalled 50 hours (49.333 to be exact), not including all the time waiting at airports in between flights. :cry:7 planes. I think I am crazy. I hope it will be worth it.

We are travelling from Toronto to/from Sorong in December. I just calculated the actual "in-air" flight time and it totalled 50 hours (49.333 to be exact), not including all the time waiting at airports in between flights. :cry:7 planes. I think I am crazy. I hope it will be worth it.

Wait...WHAT???

What's the routing? Book the ticket to either Jakarta or Singapore and then fly on a local flight from there.

Wait...WHAT???

What's the routing? Book the ticket to either Jakarta or Singapore and then fly on a local flight from there.

Total to and from, not one way, so 25 hr flight time each direction.

YYZ-HKG
HK-CGK
CGK-SOQ

SOQ-UPG
UPG-CGK
CGK-HKG
HKG-YYZ

My suggestion is to "get something out" of that time. Sleeping is the best, but if that is not possible, the next thing that I do is bring embroidery, you could get something fantastic done in 25 hours. The third option is Bring a gopro and microphone for interviewing fellow passengers and go around the plane asking people for their stories for an airline travel online blog. Things not to do on a 25 hour flight include, but not limited to: Giving yourself a pedicure, loudly saying the rosary, (in multiple languages each time, 25 hours and you could get through a novena for each member of your family, but just not loudly, while intermittently begging forgiveness), and I am hopeful you have no reason to give a fellow passenger a description of how two different governments are Satan for wiping out half your family, each. I used to air travel a lot for business, and I have the embroidery to prove it.

Looks like a perfectly normal/reasonable itinerary to there. :)

Kidding about the gopro, right? I hope?

It probably is...although I’ve never traveled this far before so still in shock.

@Bubblesong lmao....thanks for the laugh. Don't forget crochet...You could make a rad dive-flag-something.

@Dogbowl That's not too bad...It's quite normal. Actually, I think I panicked in the beginning because I thought you meant one way and then I had to question whether you were circumnavigating the globe twice or something.

It is a bit easier in some ways for us west coasters... :)

It's so worth it. Keep telling yourself that. And then you'll be back for more...Like @Dan_T 6 more times....Or me, for a second time in the Spring!

Oh..If you don't have lounge access because of status or class of service flown, do yourself a favor and sign up for Priority Pass or ensure you get some type of lounge access to make it more bearable. Maybe American Express cards can get you into a Centurion lounge? Free food, drink, booze! Comfortable loungers, showers, daybeds, etc.

@Bubblesong lmao....thanks for the laugh. Don't forget crochet...You could make a rad dive-flag-something.

@Dogbowl That's not too bad...It's quite normal. Actually, I think I panicked in the beginning because I thought you meant one way and then I had to question whether you were circumnavigating the globe twice or something.

It is a bit easier in some ways for us west coasters... :)

It's so worth it. Keep telling yourself that. And then you'll be back for more...Like @Dan_T 6 more times....Or me, for a second time in the Spring!

Haha yeah. I really gotta see how this goes. Being in economy for all these flights I might just kill myself. :tired:

I am compulsively outgoing, so I would probably do the interviews, but not the gopro, due to my own discomfort at being photographed without time to put on makeup. My fellow passengers no doubt would feel the same way about a camera stuck in their face.
On another long voyage I met a man who told me he was the Holy Ghost, but I think he was just hoping I would volunteer to be another Virgin Mary, so that conversation had to be ended with all haste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom