5 vs 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I see a lot of sites selling 5' hoses for single tank setups and 7' for double tank setups.

I just bought a single tank BP/W rig. I do plan to go to doubles eventually. I like the idea of a longer hose. I will not get a canister light anytime soon. My second secondary will be bunged. I'm 6' 6". I will not be cave diving or wreck penetrating. Mainly open water and maybe a cavern class.

Should I go with the 5' and use it till I get a doubles rig and pay the little extra money for the 7'? Should I just go ahead and gt the 7' and use it until I get my doubles and continue to use it and enjoy the air-share drills with the 7'?

I think I will get the 7'. What opinions or suggestions might SB-Hogs have for me?

Michael

At 6'0" 245, I found the 5' hose rather short for me. The 7' hose seemed far easier to manage, easier to tuck, pulled on my mouth less, and in general caused me far fewer problems. I moved to the 7' hose long before I started cave diving.

don't bother with the 5, you'll end up with the 7-footer anyway

I had to break down my doubles set up (7-foot hose) when my singles setup had a problem, so I had a 7-footer on singles. It seemed to float a bit at first until I got the routing down pat. Now I don't even notice on singles.

Go with the 7' hose on your single tank. I'm 5'11", 205 lbs, and a 5 footer is too short for me. I had one dive on my 5' hose and promptly went to a 7'.

I make you a deal; get the 7 footer and if you don't like it I'll trade you my almost brand new 5' hose for it.

Thanks all. I'm going to be purchasing the 7" hose setup. Everyone seems to agree that's the best option.

Thanks!

Michael

I used a 5' hose with USD Malibu BC and with a Zeagle Stiletto routed under my right arm across my chest to the left side of and then behind my neck. (I am 5-11 190#)Worked ok except it would conflict somewhat with my necklaced 2nd stage.
When I switched to a plate and 1 piece harness, not only did it give me issues with the necklaced reg, but it would conflict with my right shoulder D-ring.
I have never used a 7' hose, but it seems to me that routing it down near the right hip would bring it towards the left shoulder without impacting the shoulder D-rings nor the necklaced 2nd.

mwhities:
Thanks all. I'm going to be purchasing the 7" hose setup. Everyone seems to agree that's the best option.

Thanks!

Michael

I think that 7" will be a little short I would gowith the 7' hose but thats just me

Splitlip,

I'm 6' 6" and 320lbs, I need all the extra length I can get. :)

Charles,

Good catch!

I'm going with a 7' hose. :)

I may have a good deal to get two brass SPGs and two 7' hose setups. :)

Michael

Just to add my .02 worth. Put a reel on your right hip and it will serve the same function as the can light when it comes to dealing with the 7ft hose. BTW, I'm 5' 4" and been diving the 7ft since the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom