5 days available - Tulamben vs Padang Bai vs..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I will be spending 5 days in Bali in mid-December for a pure diving trip. Initially, I was thinking about spending my time in Tulamben for local dives plus some further distant boat dives (within 1h +/- ride if that makes sense).

Now, after some research it seems that Padang Bai might also be a good option as base and the question is if i should consider other spots as well.

I would like to do several different dives if possible (beach, boat, deep, drift, muck, wreck, etc.) and definitely do want to avoid the backpacker crowds.

Before I look into a spot, resorts and dive operators, are there any other options I should consider?

My only consideration is to be within driving distance of Bali airport and have somewhat of diversity of dive sites available.

Thanks for any feedback!

If you are looking for diversity then for sure base yourself out of Padang Bai. You have muck sites there, big blue water sites around the corner, and Nusa Penida less than an hour by boat. Dive with Geko and they will get you to everything...even up to Tulamben for the day if you want to dive the wreck.

I fully agree. We love Padang Bai and have stayed and dived with Absolute Scuba several times. They have nice clean bungalows and rooms , a pool and good food. Their dive boats leave from across the road and the excellent crew take care of your gear. The local sites are very very good. They do regular trips up to Tulamben to the wreck and out to the Nusa Islands for Manta and Molas , all highly recommended. One thing we really like is that there is no car traffic noise at night in the restuarants. Also many of the restuarants about have live music at night. For a short trip purely for diving PB is hard to beat.

This is great feedback!

Thank you Tippytoes12 and matts1w!

I am in touch with Absolute Scuba to stay and dive with them.

What are the chances of finding Molas in December given that the season is probably over?

Also, in general I assume (apart from the Molas) trips to Nusa Islands are worthwhile year round, correct?

I fully agree. We love Padang Bai and have stayed and dived with Absolute Scuba several times. They have nice clean bungalows and rooms , a pool and good food. Their dive boats leave from across the road and the excellent crew take care of your gear. The local sites are very very good. They do regular trips up to Tulamben to the wreck and out to the Nusa Islands for Manta and Molas , all highly recommended. One thing we really like is that there is no car traffic noise at night in the restuarants. Also many of the restuarants about have live music at night. For a short trip purely for diving PB is hard to beat.

Just curious, since I have to work a bit while over and relying on internet: how was their WIFI speed and connection stability? I am planning on using my Vodafone on roaming as backup but would like to access strong and stable WIFI if possible.

Thank you!

It’s unlikely but not impossible that you will see molas. But the coral and fish life around the Nusa islands makes a trip worthwhile. There are mantas there all year , it’s rare , not to see them. Their internet , as far as I remember, was good.

It’s unlikely but not impossible that you will see molas. But the coral and fish life around the Nusa islands makes a trip worthwhile. There are mantas there all year , it’s rare , not to see them. Their internet , as far as I remember, was good.

Thank you for the feedback!

What are some general opinions about the below dive agenda for five days:
  1. Local Padang Bai - 2 dives
  2. Tulamben - 2 dives
  3. Gili Tepekong & Mimpang - 2 dives
  4. Manta Point, Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida Drift - 3 dives
  5. Local Padang Bai - 2 dives
Any must-see spots missing on that list or is that a good plan covering the better dive sites in that area?

Also, any alternatives in case the Manta Point trip wont happen in case they dont have enough people?

Too much local diving (Jetty and Deep Jepun is fine, but the rest may be overkill if you're not into into specific macro)
Tulamben is more than 20 dive sites, in one day they will lead you to the wreck and something else (say no to Drop off, the worst dive in Tulamben)
Replace one day diving local with another day in Tulamben for real black sand (say Melasti and Kwanji) or another trip to Nusa Penida.

If they don't do a Nusa Penida trip , shop around like at Geko divers almost next door, they may organize a day on their own. it would be a pity staying at Padang Bai without diving Nusa Penida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom