4ft underwater, dived deeper, momentarily lost consciousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Ed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
2nd training session was yesterday, after successfully completing underwater breathing maneuvers, snorkel / regulator breathing exchange, inhale through regulator / exhale nose without mask and so on and so on. I had some time to get used to being underwater.

At about 4 ft underwater, head first I dived deeper and suddenly it was if I momentarily blacked out. Uncertain as to what happened I repeated my actions and the same loss consciousness occurred.

It is was only for a moment, when I dived further downward, my vision and concentration was as it should be.

Actually, I enjoyed the feeling.

Perhaps this is the reason we are taught to submerge underwater feet first?

This is not normal at any depth. Please go see a doctor ASAP for a full physical. Don't dive, or try to learn to dive until this is figured out and resolved.

2nd training session was yesterday, after successfully completing underwater breathing maneuvers, snorkel / regulator breathing exchange, inhale through regulator / exhale nose without mask and so on and so on. I had some time to get used to being underwater.

At about 4 ft underwater, head first I dived deeper and suddenly it was if I momentarily blacked out. Uncertain as to what happened I repeated my actions and the same loss consciousness occurred.

It is was only for a moment, when I dived further downward, my vision and concentration was as it should be.

Actually, I enjoyed the feeling.

You need to go see a doctor right now. It has nothing to do with feet first.

It did not bother me submerging feet first. I have a doctors annual appointment coming up next week

It did not bother me submerging feet first. I have a doctors annual appointment coming up next week
Maybe you should book an appointment with a physician who knows about diving. If you lose consciousness at only 4 feet, you could potentially lose consciousness at 60 feet, which in this case, would be extremely dangerous. Please share this experience with your instructor, he or she may be able to provide some information about physicians specialized in scuba diving.

Maybe you should book an appointment with a physician who knows about diving. If you lose consciousness at only 4 feet, you could potentially lose consciousness at 60 feet, which in this case, would be extremely dangerous. Please share this experience with your instructor, he or she may be able to provide some information about physicians specialized in scuba diving.

Second on the advice to see a doc with dive specific training and knowledge. You can call DAN's non-emergency line at 1-919-684-2948 for some information and possibly a lead on a dive medical professional in your area.

Just to reiterate, this is not normal. Do not dive until you see a doctor, ideally one who is familiar with SCUBA. DAN, 1-919-684-2948, may be able to help with a reference.

After seeing a doctor, if everything checks out OK at the Dr, some other possibilities to consider.... was your wetsuit too tight? Was your BC too tight? It might be possible that if one, or both, were too tight, it could be inhibiting blood flow to and from your head. Also worth noting, always be well hydrated before and after diving.

But, do not skip the doctor visit, even if you're "convinced" that it was your wetsuit and/or BC. The situation you described is NOT normal, and is very dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom