450 lumen drop-in (with slight modification) for Photon Torpedo et al.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that's true, then Emperor of the Universe should be just beyond the horizon....Yes I can feel it. It's almost palpable, but it tastes funny (not strictly palatable).

"Success is falling nine times and getting up ten" - Jon Bon Jovi

Ok, so I quote the great thinkers of our time:D.

Don't feel too bad. When the $60 Osram Ostars (used by Salvo/Light Monkey) were around, I decided to buy 3... I blew up 2 within the first 10 minutes... I should have waited longer before attempting high powered, expensive LEDs.

"Success is falling nine times and getting up ten" - Jon Bon Jovi

Ok, so I quote the great thinkers of our time:D.

"It's [your] life"
Bon Jovi

---------- Post added May 14th, 2012 at 01:24 PM ----------

Do tell ...? :)

I don't know what happened to it. I was messing around with different reflectors and it just ****ed up. It still lights, but just barely. Maybe they sent me the 5-mode version and I managed to turn it on low. Anyway, they didn't send me the smooth reflector, but I took the smooth one from the new bulb and screwed it on a cree R2; beautiful super tight spot and no halos in the spill. If you have a cree R2 with the non-smooth reflecor, I would highly recomend buying the reflector only (I think the XML uses the same reflector as they don't offer another one). I'll try to get a beam shot later. Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,

When I was messing with the older 250 Lumen drop-ins, I bought both smooth and "orange peel" reflectors, and I agree, the smooth reflectors - with those older LEDs - give a much nicer spot. The floodier "orange peel" may better fit an all around purpose light?

I may have to get a couple of those drop-ins and give them a try. I still have a few brass washers I can drill out for spacers.

Just checked the DX site; I can't remember if it was the R2 LEDs I used ...? Hmmm.

Henrik

Re the R2s, I think that's what you used. Re the polished reflector spot; it seems much more distinct at greater distance........in air at least. The XML with the polished reflector, the same one I tried on the R2, gave a more diffused spot maybe because of the orientation (depth) of the in the reflector.

How long did it run for? I think it may have over heated and killed the LED. If you have a proper voltage power source, you can try to remove the driver and may be find out the LED is OK... You would need a driver though.

Re the R2s, I think that's what you used. Re the polished reflector spot; it seems much more distinct at greater distance........in air at least.

Thanks Dave - yeah, I think you're correct about the R2. The new reflector may be slightly differently shaped to accommodate the different LED.

Back
Top Bottom