45 degree tank valves???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could hang a number for you in SoCal today, but ...

Currently there is only one option for new HP tanks - the Faber FX series.
The Hot Dip Galvanized vesions were only intermittently available and I'm hearing all of the Faber tank availabilities are subject to the current supply chain issues. Check out Dive Gear Express for reference pricing.

Around here PA/NJ they are very common tanks and I've been diligent and patient. A few years ago I could pick up reconditioned (new hydro, tumble, valve rebuild, VIP and fill) singles for around $200 from my LDS. I picked up a set of manifolded 100s 1-year post-recon for $400 privately. I've also found several deals on expired tanks that brought me in at < $150 after recon. From what I've seen lately, availability has been very low and asking prices up.

You didn't show all of the crowns clearly in the pictures, but it seems that the hydro is expired (last that I saw was 2015) and they will need full recon.

I would first talk to your LDSs and ask if they can handle, and are experienced with, hydros and rebuilds for 3500psi HDG 7/8 neck tanks and slant-back valves. And what is the per unit cost. Factor that in.

Hydros are a bit tricky with all HDG tanks and require a more involved procedure with slight manufacturer-specific variation. Some locations and technicians are not aware/experienced at these procedures and sometimes end up failing good tanks. Sometimes tanks fail, for valid cause too.

I would suggest you buy contingent on them passing hydro and would go so far as to request that you can pull the valves and inspect the interior yourself. Bring a small penlight (or borescope if you have one.) If there is more than a slight haze of flash rust on the surface they will require more extensive tumbling to clean after hydro, and if there is significant rust pitting they may not pass at all.

These tanks also are granted specific exemption permits from the DOT rules and that exemption has to be renewed by the manufacturers (who have left the SCUBA industry) every few years for the tanks to continue to be allowed. This crisis pops up periodically and so-far is always resolved at the last minute but the possibility exists that it may not someday.

The hp 100s IMO are better tanks than 119s. I would easily pay $150 each for the hp100s. And if I really wanted them wouldn’t balk at $200 each. If they’re in hydro. Those tanks are likely made by pst. So they’re nice and heavy and mean you can wear less lead. As said before oat isn’t making tanks anymore. So you’re only option new is Faber. So currently a pair of double hp100s like those I’ll go for $450-500 if set up as doubles. Years back I got the same tanks for $350

I’m thinking the idea was that the regulator was less likely to hit your head if the valve was angled.
It was to prevent people from machining inserts and putting a yoke regulator on them. It's why we have two classes of DIN.

Great info! Thanks y’all. Good to know the valves are costly to replace / hard to fix. That helps my purchasing decision a lot!

No comment on the particular hp100 you posted, but I have several of these valves on 3/4 thread tanks...

Here’s my take on cylinders with 7/8 threads... if they’re in the configuration you want (ie, don't have to change out valves), and are able to hydro, and at a decent price, and have a use for them..... go ahead and get them.

Look up when the permit expires, re-hydro them just before the it expires, and you will have another 5 years of cylinder life left on the tanks (if for some reason, it doesn't get re-permitted)....

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom