~400 dives in 2011 with a few new experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The year started out chilly with poor vis but many big animals..rays,sharks and a trip from NC waters back to Jax over a week long.As the spring progressed waters warmed up and I got in a few more dives spotting schools of red snapper up to several hundred strong on many of the sites as well as the end of the southernly migrating species including right whales from a distance above water.

May began with thermoclines and an invasion of stinging jellies but the vis started to get better rolling into June I dove extensively roaming up the coast to the Carolinas.Saw more big animals with Jewfish being abundant on the FL wrecks and occasional N of that.

July saw me spear my personal best black grouper at 150'.Video is online at youtube,spare yourself if you don't like carnage.Continued to see the big guys along with ever increasing tropicals and normal reef fish as the vis averaged 50'.

Fall was eventful with several deco hangs being entertained by porpoises.Saw each species of ray, saw cobia,AJ,GG,big specimens of hogfish,schools of red snapper,most of the SE Atlantic sharks with the exception of GW:)no:)as well as 2 giant bluefin tuna from about 5' away while my gopro was running.Working on 40hrs or so of raw video to pull out some "friendlier" content.

December has been nice with 70 degree water and vis as good as 100' or better with 1 dive being able to see the boat from 150' down and 120' back.
I could not begin to list the species but did get a close up of a lionfish spine..in my hand.Found coal on 2 wrecks,tile on another.Fossils in SC well south of the NC stuff by the tower.
Averaged 130' on dives with 22 to 25 min runtimes mostly.Very thankful to the Good Lord for blessing me with the opportunity to spend a lot of time on the water.

Pretty impressive. I'm envious. I could actually do that many dives here, but Nova Scotia has its limits as far as being interesting. Hope to get some dives in the next 3 months in MS, AL & maybe LA (L.Pontchartrain?). But it's tough to get charters and buddies to dive in "winter" down there.

Back
Top Bottom