Have you ever stayed at Buddy Dive and had no issues?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Munkee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had to truncate this review due to limits for posting. Check out BUDDY DIVE RESORT $168 ($̶2̶0̶0̶) - Updated 2019 Prices & Reviews - Bonaire, Caribbean - TripAdvisor
for the full review.
Long story short, we have always had issues with the trucks they rent, the tanks with leaking stems, no maid service and a staff that kept saying there is nothing they can do. Example, out first truck... The love box was sitting in the passenger foot well, the turn signal stem was completely broken off (no turn signal or headlights) the gate on the bed did not close and the drivers seat was stuck in the full recline position. We were told there were no other trucks so we could either take it or leave it...
Read the full review for the continued disasters...
On this trip we lost over 2 days of diving because they could not find a truck that worked or the tanks; which were full when we grabbed them were completely empty when we got to the dive site.
This place has really gone down hill fast. Their reply to my letter to them, nothing we can do for you and we guess we will not expect to see you as a guest again... they are right!

So sorry you had a bad visit. I'm sure your attitude had nothing to do with their responses to you. Always enjoy reading a one-sided hit piece. I'm delighted you are not going back...sure wouldn't want to be on a dive boat with you.

I'm sure your attitude had nothing to do with their responses to you. Always enjoy reading a one-sided hit piece. I'm delighted you are not going back...sure wouldn't want to be on a dive boat with you.

Where'd that come from? I read the review they posted and I didn't get any attitude from it. Seemed like they had a really bad experience and wrote it up for the benefit of others.

All reviews are one-sided, that's why if you're in the service industry it's really important to concentrate on the customer experience.

Is there more that I'm missing?

So sorry you had a bad visit. I'm sure your attitude had nothing to do with their responses to you. Always enjoy reading a one-sided hit piece. I'm delighted you are not going back...sure wouldn't want to be on a dive boat with you.

I agree.

Where'd that come from? I read the review they posted and I didn't get any attitude from it. Seemed like they had a really bad experience and wrote it up for the benefit of others.

All reviews are one-sided, that's why if you're in the service industry it's really important to concentrate on the customer experience.

Is there more that I'm missing?

Did you read the Trip Adviser review?
The length alone gives reason for the comment above.
The expression "verbal diarrhea" comes to mind.

With all the great resorts out there I don’t give anyone a second chance....lesson learned perhaps...if “your” not happy, move along.

This is an example of why I like to get all the various services separately. Lodging, tanks, truck, food. That way, each place can do the one individual thing they do well, every time. Off topic, I did notice the Plaza now has rates for rooms only, not just all inclusive rates! Will most likely go back (too much good food on the island to be chained to that buffet).

Appreciate you sharing your experience. I've stayed at Buddy Dive Resort 3 times and been happy with it, but the last time was back in 2014, so my experience is dated. My main annoyance was that their parking could get a bit crowded. Really liked the broad expanse of house reef.

Leaking/hissing tank yoke valve connections when regulator connected & pressure on aren't unusual on Bonaire; I started carrying a scuba tool and o-ring pack in the truck. My latest trip, 2 Dive Friends tanks from Port Bonaire (which seemed fine when I analyzed nitrox on pickup) were leaking - one a big part of the o-ring was missing, the other just plain leaked. But that's a quick fix.

The extent of rental truck woes you experienced seems to defy just a random bad luck explanation. Beat up clunker truck reports from Bonaire aren't new. My recent Oct. 2019 stay with a very new looking Nissan Navara from Avis, I had some drama - the tailgate wouldn't come down one day, and the steering column would somehow lock up and not let me turn the truck on (without vigorous, at times extended, pulling around to get it unstuck - don't know how that works). I live in fear of a flat on Bonaire.

The crap you got regarding the cruise tour bus is concerning. Be interesting to see if we start hearing reports of such going forward.

At some point dealing with a business there's enough 'bad blood' that it's time to move on for both your sakes. I liked my studio at Sand Dollar very well (they only clean twice/week by the way). You mentioned the Courtyard Marriott, but that isn't oceanfront and lacks a house reef. There are a range of places you can stay at, and rental agencies you can rent from.

Buddy Dive Resort remains popular for a lot of people. Transfers to/from the airport, onsite truck rental, a breakfast buffet I've yet to see matched on the island (not that I've been looking), a fine stretch of house reef with good reef both south and north of it, a nice pier and access to dive boats right there.

But if it does not work for you, move on.

The acid test will be whether other people going forward post similarly critical reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom