35ft Shark Just Misses a Diver in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Whale Sharks at Gladden Split in PLacencia can reach 50ft check out this link of one that takes an interest in a diver and the diver is pulled out of the way.

Great video shows the fantastic visability and the encounters you can have at Gladden Spit

I plan on leading a group there next Whale Shark season diving with Patty and Splash Divers out of Placencai Splash Divers

check out the video Diver almost gets hit by a Whale Shark

Gaz

Why are there scuba divers in the water with the Whale shark? This is forbidden isn't it? Did they not know it was there and were scubadiving and happened upon it? The video of the event would indicate that it was known that there was a whale shark in the vicinity.

It's legal to dive with them in Belize.

That's right, and it's illegal to snorkel with manatees.

My only encounter with a whale shark away from the main viewing area in souther Belize was when one got between my boat and the mooring line a year or two ago.

Also legal to dive with Whale Sharks in the Galapagos national Park, Thailand Australia, to name a few

Gaz

Paul Steel, may he rest in peace, had some great video of whale sharks at Gladden. One in particular where a 30 footer or so came up below his son and appeared to be trying to grab his fin. His son, about 15 at the time, was wildly kicking to get away. It looked as if the shark could have swallowed him whole.

How far is Galddens spit from AC? Is there a chance we can get a dive in there while staying at Ramons?

No, way too far. You'll need to be somewhere like Hopkins or Placencia. Plan on at least two daily trips to Gladden Spit to maximise your chances.

No, it's too far by boat. Ambergris is to the north, Gladden Spit is south Belize. And it's only 4 specific weeks a year in the spring during/after the full moon. You've already missed two of them - here's Splash Divers schedule:

2010 SPLASH DIVE SHOP WHALE SHARK SEASON DATES
March 28th - April 8th
April 26th - May 6th
May 25th - June 5th
June 24th - July 4th

You could fly Maya Island Air down/back but you'd probably have to overnight. And fly from San Pedro to BZE then down to Placencia. There are a lot of flights but it would be about $300 r/t pp.

Guess we need to plan trip #2 to Belize. YEAH!!!

Or move...

I like the later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom