34 dives to 15 feet in 4 hours - symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Background

Recently I had to help a fisher to clear a bay for fyke net fishing. The place was littered with fyke net anchoring stakes that had to be removed before placing a new fyke net was deemed safe. Depth was 15 feet. Visibility varied between 0 and 25 inches. 13 stakes had to be recovered and they were initially located by side scan sonar and then more accurately by ordinary sonar. A buoy was then thrown in as close to the target as possible. No matter how close the buoy anchor weight landed a circular search was still required. One could not see a thing! The stakes had to be located and marked and after that a recovery rope had to be fetched and attached to the stake. Hence, a minimum of two dives per stake were required. I am pretty used to diving in zero viz but a number of resurfacings and new attemps were still required. All of this led to 34 dives to be performed.

The dives

I did do 34 dives to 15 feet in 4 hours. Time submerged was 90 minutes. Water temperature +8C on the surface, +6C on the bottom. I spent 4 hours in water.

The fears

I fear that no decompression algorithms (including the bubble models) have had their parameters statistically adjusted to guarantee such dives to be safe. A realized this a little bit too late having already taken the damage. My computer was happy, my body was not.

The symptoms:
  1. I felt very exhausted the whole evening. No need to sleep, but physically very very tired.
  2. Next morning I woke up and felt some itching. It felt like wool against the skin. I have never before had that sensation in the bed in the morning. Two hours later this symptom was gone.
The assumptions

I assume that those larger cavities in the bloodstream that play no role after 3-4 dives got pumped up enough with nitrogen during 34 successive dives to cause symptoms. So perhaps I suffered some nitrogen damage, while not full blown DCS.

The future

My plan for the next time is to replace air with nitrox 40 and limit the submersions to less than 30.

Recommendations and advice welcome!

I have read of divers getting symptoms from sub 30ft dives, specially with multiple accents. I recall one where a diver made one dive to around 20ft for what I belive wasn't even a full tank. DCS, what an odd thing.

You will get zero decompression above 30 feet of depth, if the surface of water is at the sea level. You can stay at 15 feet for days at a time. Even with cold and circulation restricted, you are nowhere near 30 feet.

Although a stay at 15' can go on for days at a time, that is for 1 dive. The more dives one does in a day, the less data has been taken to reliably determine what the effects will be, at 34, I would guess there is no data that can predict accurately what will happen.

I done some interesting dives, but never that many cycles in that short a time, so I don't have a clue. It sounds exhausting just reading it.

Perhaps @Duke Dive Medicine will stop by and give his thoughts.

You will get zero decompression above 30 feet of depth, if the surface of water is at the sea level. You can stay at 15 feet for days at a time. Even with cold and circulation restricted, you are nowhere near 30 feet.
Every dive is a deco dive. No matter how short or shallow it is

Steve Bogaerts, a world renowned cave explorer had to quit diving last year after a series of DCS incidents stemming from frequent shallow dives.

I know nothing about decompression but frequent ups and downs make me feel bad, exhausted and unwell.

Every dive is a deco dive. No matter how short or shallow it is
That really isn't true. Research with shallow saturation divers indicates that on dives shallower than 20 feet, divers can surface at any time, even if they have been down so incredibly long that all tissues are saturated.

The problem with these dives is the repeated up and down. There just isn't any research on that.

In the pool sessions for an OW class, students and instructors do a lot of ups and downs to similar depth, but nothing to the degree described here. After 4 hours of those classes, I am TIRED, and so are the students. They often say something about how tiring scuba is after the first day in the pool, and I tell them it really isn't as tiring as that.

Every dive is a deco dive.
Silly statement...many times debunked. "Deco Dive" means violating NDL, with mandatory stops.

I have read of divers getting symptoms from sub 30ft dives, specially with multiple accents. I recall one where a diver made one dive to around 20ft for what I belive wasn't even a full tank. DCS, what an odd thing.
The indications are pretty firm that shallower than 20 feet is safe. Going up and down repeatedly is the unknown. DCS issues start from 20-30 feet, and they do take some time.

DCS is not the only issue related to diving. It can be very hard to tell the difference between DCS and any of the variety of lung overexpansion injuries, which can happen in extremely shallow water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom