300BAR valves with PST E Series?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Um, the burst disk rating and valve size are mutually exclusive of each other. You can get a 300 Bar DIN valve with a 2600 psi burst disk, or you can get a 232 Bar Din valve with a 3442 psi burst disk. They don't have anything to do with each other.
Simbrooks:
I was informed that "the PST tanks fill up at 3442 psig a 230 bar valve would do the tank fine however one must ensure the protection from overpressurization from the point of the burst disc heat expansion. The fill pressures the tank is rated for are based on repeated filling. The 300 BAR valve will handle the heat build up better than the 230 BAR valve because of it's rated burst disc" from my instructor, and have the 300bar DIN regs and so they would "stick out" as rjchandler stated. Personally if they work that is fine, i am going to be using DIN on them and changing them out for a double manifold anyway in the future, so no great hassle to make do with them in the meantime.

Simon, Boogie711 is correct that the burst disc is independant of the valve. You can change the burst disc out and continue to protect the tank. The burst disc is rated based on the tanks fill pressure not the valve. I'm sorry (I had a head cold when I wrote you a explaination.) The burst disc needs to be a slight higher rating than the tank's fill pressure to accomondate the higher pressures from heat expansion during filling or storage in a cars trunk etc. Your Zeagle reg will better fit a 300 BAR valve than a 230 BAR valve due to deeper threads of the hand wheel. Again Sorry for my explanation I don't know what I was thinking.

GDI, i heard you sniffing away when we spoke, i thought something was up with you. I thought it was just allergies like i seem to be getting at the moment - how does that affect your near daily schedule of teaching???

I think i am getting a better handle on the tanks and other gear situation as time goes by. It looks like the divers direct and getting them vip'd and stickered is going to work out as a $200 saving over MSRP for 4 tanks, so thats nice! And its going to be 0% for 6 months on the tanks, the stickering is paid at purchase.

So whenever i get this manifold set-up and replace the 232/K valves i will get 300bar if for nothing else than asthetics (threads not sticking out) as i have to get a new set anyway and they are the same price. I think that will suffice for questions for now, its been a rough ride to get to this answer, thanks again for all the help all of you.

Just to even further confuse you - the threads don't really "stick out." Most of the time they're covered by the DIN wheel on the regulator. I will say a 232 Bar DIN connection is still far more secure than a yoke connection, but the 300 Reg in a 232 valve question really is a very minor issue in terms of aesthetics. It might not be minor issue in terms of structural integrity, but I've never gotten upset over the 232 vs 300 Bar differences.

What do you have on your tanks? Given the choice, seeing as they are the same price, what would you prefer? No i am still not going with yoke, unless its a rental - cant really help that. Does it make the slightest bit of difference between a 232 or a 300 bar manifold?

On my singles I've got 232 Bar Din/Yoke connections, because a) that's what they came with and b) sometimes it's easier to get fills with a yoke whip when I'm out in the boonies doing weenie rec dives.

On my doubles (a set of 72's and a set of E8-130's) I've got 300 BAR manifolds, because they were the same price and I'll never have to lend those out to someone. :wink:

300 Bar DIN valves can also use stainless steel DIN plugs (but I don't know for sure that 232 DIN can't as well.) And a lot of shops around me have a DIN adaptor to fill DIN tanks, but it doesn't work on a 232 DIN valve (something to do with a nipple on the end preventing it from seating properly.... I just screw in the Yoke plugs and let them fill that way.)

simbrooks:
GDI, i heard you sniffing away when we spoke, i thought something was up with you. I thought it was just allergies like i seem to be getting at the moment - how does that affect your near daily schedule of teaching???

I think i am getting a better handle on the tanks and other gear situation as time goes by. It looks like the divers direct and getting them vip'd and stickered is going to work out as a $200 saving over MSRP for 4 tanks, so thats nice! And its going to be 0% for 6 months on the tanks, the stickering is paid at purchase.

So whenever i get this manifold set-up and replace the 232/K valves i will get 300bar if for nothing else than asthetics (threads not sticking out) as i have to get a new set anyway and they are the same price. I think that will suffice for questions for now, its been a rough ride to get to this answer, thanks again for all the help all of you.
Oh yeh that and a poor phone connection while on some drugs (land narcosis) I make sure I'm clear headed when teaching and try not to cough on anybody. I avoid the pool and water if needed and able.

Back
Top Bottom