30/30 Bulk or not.. (plus more questions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering a 30/30 and wanted to gather some net wisdom.

First: How bulky is the suit to pack vs a regular 3-5mm suit?

I use a dive caddy now so I don't have to check bags, or at least the majority of my gear. Think this suit would be in the same range or would this be way over the limit with a warm water undergarment?

How hard is it to take it on/off? My experience with a drysuit so far has been that they are pretty cumbersome. Of course it was a regular heavy drysuit so that may be a moot point. With experience, is it any faster/slower than a regular wetsuit to get into?

Ankle weights... Looking at the suit the legs are fairly tapered and I guess they are not really an issue as there wont be much air down there. Sound right?

Finally, the sizing...am 5'11, 160lbs (fairly thin) and I wear a 40R business suit, which seems to mean I would probably be a large in the 30/30 but... Hard to say. Considering the going the factory discount way so I can't try it on beforehand. DUI: Care to comment on what size you think would be best?

These are great questions! The bulk of a 3030 is about the same as a 3mm wetsuit and less than a 5mm. It is prefect for those who get cold easily or those who don't want to wear that much neoprene. Who likes putting on a wet wetsuit anyway?!?!

I don't know of anyone using ankle weights with a 3030 especially with the ankle seals. Most seem to find this pretty easy to put on especially compared to standard drysuits.

As far as sizing goes, I think you would be best in a large or medium tall. Do you live near one of our shows: a consumer show we are exhibiting at or a demo days? You could try things on to get a better idea. What you want to wear underneath it would make a difference as well. If you want to wear a 300 weight insulation you are probably better off in a large. Please let us know how we can help with the sizing. thanks

Faith

Are you going to be at the baltimore dive show? If so, I'll be there.

DUI does have a booth at the show. I will give our representative a heads up that you will be there. We will have a couple of 3030s there for you to try on. Hope this helps. Thanks
Faith

Very cool. Back to the question about bulk. Ever put one in a dive caddy?

Great "backpack" system for those (like me) who absolutely hate checking mission critical equipment. If it fits in there with the rest of my equipment it will be way up on my list of potential purchases.

And yes, I get cold hence the heavy consideration. Everyone else on my last dive trip was in bikini/shorts and maybe a rash guard. I had on gloves, boots and my 3mm merino suit. I was only warm the first day, by the last I was just a bit chilled. In thailand I did 3 days of diving and was chilled after each one. Baking in the sun on the beach every other day helped though :wink:

Very cool. Back to the question about bulk. Ever put one in a dive caddy?

Never put one in a "dive caddy" but travel with my 30/30 extensively. If necessary It probably takes up about as much room as a typical "full body" wetsuit. However, I wouldn't jam it into a suitcase the same way I'd jam a neoprene wet suit - the net result is that it probably takes up a bit more room. Esp if you go withy Zip seals on wrist and/or neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom