3 step telscoping ladder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acarter92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi ya'll

Recently bought a 08' Trophy 1902 Walk Around that I've set up primarily for diving. Roll Control Tank racks, Dri-Deck in the cockpit, and fin and gear storage is done.

There are a few odds and ends that I want to do yet, but for the most part it's ready to go. I just have concerns with the current ladder. It has a built in swing down 3 step telescoping ladder that is integrated into the transom. I'm sure it will be great for swimming and snorkeling, but I have concerns about it holding up to the abuse of a geared up diver using it. My previous boat didn't come with a ladder so I installed a 4 step sport/ dive ladder which was awesome. I'm considering getting one for this boat and just mounting it on the other side. What do ya'll think? Anybody have experience with these ladders? Will it be adequate for SCUBA? I was planning on just trying it before making the decision, but we just planned a trip to the FL Keys the end of the month and it looks like we won't get to do any diving before hand to try it out. I don' really want to find out it really sucks at the start of a long week of diving...

this is the type of ladder I have

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 444
I had a ladder like that. It was okay but never tried boarding with equipment(too rickety for us)

I have the same ladder on my boat - I have used it in 3 foot swells off the coast of NJ - I wear an AL80 and 19 cu ft pony, 7 mill semi dry with about 20lbs of weight and various gear. I can say I use it because that is what I have but it is not the best... I have a pull handle at the top of the ladder that helps me roll on-board - if you have a choice replace the ladder - I can tell you it feels like it may snap one day - if it does I hope I am on-board and not trying to get on-board...

This would be a choice.
Diving Equipment Specialties

we use that ladder on a 17' in new England. while a little wobbly, it easily handles a heavy diver in full gear (without fins).

its not just the ladder, but how secure the mount is attached.....

The generic stuff off the showroom floors that comes with a boat barely makes a passing grade for swimmers....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom