3 Korean Divers Missing off Lapu-Lapu City in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I woke up to this news this morning. I thought I would share it here so we can learn from this mishap. The news article has very little details of this incident.

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Three Koreans went missing on Sunday after they went diving in Punta Engaño, Lapu-Lapu City.
PO2 Niño Mancao, desk officer of the Station 2 in Lapu-Lapu City Police Station identified the missing Koreans as diving instructor Baek Seung Kyoon, 34; Heo Seung Yung, 45; and female companion Kim Eun, 31.
Mancao said the three went diving at 11 a.m. but failed to return.

Chief Inspector Conrado Manatad, police station 2 chief, said a search and rescue operation was conducted but it was called off past 6 p.m. due to safety issues.
Manatad said the rescue team was also hampered by strong waves.
Manatad said the rescue operation would continue on Monday morning (July 6). He said the police would investigate why the diving activity was allowed during bad weather.

He said the police would investigate why the diving activity was allowed during bad weather.
TS Linfa is centered quite a ways north of there, but the outter bands would still be hitting there now, worse earlier.

Last edited:
Wow! That's 39 miles from Cebu. Looking forward to the details.

Capture.JPG

It's nice to see a thread like this where after the first post you know how it is going to turn out...and then be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom