3/5 mm vs Dive Skin & Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to go from my 3/5 mm longsleeved neoprene shorty to a diveskin. Will I need to make a significant adjustment in my weighting?

cowdog77:
I would like to go from my 3/5 mm longsleeved neoprene shorty to a diveskin. Will I need to make a significant adjustment in my weighting?

Yes, I have several different suits for different times of the year and I always adjust with them. This is how I'm weighted with My diffrent types of suits, just to show you the differences. Most likely yours won't be the same since everybody is built differently.

I use AL 80's with the following in Fresh water and I am 5'7" 160lbs.

When I wear My 5/4mm Ful Suit I use 8 lbs.

With My 3/2mm Fullsuit I wear 3-4lbs.

With My 3/2 Shorty I wear 2lbs.

With No exposure suit I wear no extra weight.

I hope this gives you some kind of idea.

Matt

Sounds like using the thinnest possible exposure could make for carrying less weight....and I'm all for that. I assume those were all examples in fresh water, right? Thanks for the response....could be the way to go since I don't chill easy. ~

Capt. Crash:
Yes, I have several different suits for different times of the year and I always adjust with them. This is how I'm weighted with My diffrent types of suits, just to show you the differences. Most likely yours won't be the same since everybody is built differently.

I use AL 80's with the following in Fresh water and I am 5'7" 160lbs.

When I wear My 5/4mm Ful Suit I use 8 lbs.

With My 3/2mm Fullsuit I wear 3-4lbs.

With My 3/2 Shorty I wear 2lbs.

With No exposure suit I wear no extra weight.

I hope this gives you some kind of idea.

Matt

cowdog77:
Sounds like using the thinnest possible exposure could make for carrying less weight....and I'm all for that. I assume those were all examples in fresh water, right? Thanks for the response....could be the way to go since I don't chill easy. ~

Yes, all in fresh water. Yes, The thinner the suit, the less bouyant which means less weight. I don't chill that easy Myself but I run dive and snorkel tours at some of these fresh water springs that stay around 72 degrees year round and it's not the water that chills Me, it's the after effect when your driving the boat and all the cold air hits you on those 40 degree mornings here in Florida.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom