3/2 Wetsuit with Ankle Zippers ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VAmtnguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My current 3/2 wetsuit is getting a bit ragged after 12 years. In looking for a new wetsuit, I can find very few with ankle zippers for under $150 or so. Any suggestions with brand and model that might work for me ?? I probably need an XL (men's).

Thanks in advance.

A used waterproof W3 (3.5mm so not a 3/2) has ankle zips and could potentially be in your price point. This could work, another 3/2 with ankle zips I was able to find, another 3mm option.

Unfortunately nothing I found was $150 or less, you can look on ebay, the many facebook scuba gear swaps, or this sites marketplace to find used or pre-owned but not used one.

If the price point is a firm and you can't find ones with ankle zippers, I'd highly suggest lycra socks. They make getting in/out of wetsuits much easier, since I'm guessing thats the point of you wanting ankle zippers.

You can have ankle and/or sleeve zippers installed on virtually any wetsuit. Based on your location, you might have to mail it out for alteration. I had ankle and sleeve zips installed in two Bare wetsuits by Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits, and she did a great job. I can highly recommend her work.
http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/alterations.html

Any particular reason you want ankle zips?

With a 3mm (or 3/2) suit, it's so thin that most people find it easily stretchy enough to not need ankle zips.

My thicker suits have ankle zips and I'm glad of it. But, my 3/2 does not and I have never missed them.

My Bare Velocity suit has ankle zippers, though like others have suggested, I don't find them very useful - I'd actually prefer it didn't have the zippers.

Regardless, Leisurepro has them on sale for 169.00 Bare 3mm Velocity Full Men's Suit

^^^ I have one, got it in 2010 on sale for $129.00 from Leisurepro.com... Loved it... But this year I upgraded to Waterproof W3, also from Leisurepro.com for $299.00, and man let me tell you, a lot better suit for the money, a little warmer and the quality and construction is way better than Bare Velocity. W3 isn't as super-stretchy and fitting as Velocity but has a better lining, more robust seams, better knee and elbow pads... In addition, it also has ankle and wrist seals, wrist and neck front zippers. I know it's more expensive but definitely worth it:wink:

I was starting to get colder lately on my second and third dives in the Bare suit and W3 is just perfect. I usually dive in temps from 66-86F. Above 80-82F, Bare was perfect, W3 shines in the 74-82F range and when combined with the Waterproof U1 hooded vest (2/5mm) it works all the way down to 66-68F, for a little while:wink:

I purchased a scubapro profile 3/2 from LP that was about $110. Great suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom