2nd Covid vaccine several days before PCR tests, false positive risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle0692

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all!

In about a month, my girlfriend and I are scheduled on our first liveaboard to the Turks and Caicos (Aggressor). I just got my first round of the Moderna Covid vaccine on April 28th and am due for the second shot on May 28th. Turks and Caicos requires a PCR test no more than 5 days before our flight, so I'd be looking at getting a couple tests that Wednesday (more than one just in case results take too long..) and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/guidance on if getting the second vaccine several days beforehand would influence the test and make it more prone to be positive? I have looked online for an answer to this question and really can't find anything around this. If I had to, I would just wait a week to get the second round of vaccine until after my trip since we have already cancelled this trip once.

Thanks!!

Kyle

There is no virus -- dead or alive -- in the vaccine, so it should not affect the PCR test for the virus. Also, however, note that there is no harm caused by waiting an additional few weeks to get the second shot. It just delays your "fully vaccinated" status.

I wouldn't worry so much about the influence on a COVID test but the possible side effects from the second dose. Most people that get side effects will have them after the second shot. Friends and family of mine have reported that the second dose knocked them for a loop for a full day and they took the day off of work. IMO, I wouldn't jeopardize a dive trip because of that. Best advice, though, would be to call your doctor. I've got a dive trip scheduled next week and my doctor advised to put off the vaccination until my return.

The vaccine causes your body to produce antibodies. A PCR test replicates any remnant of the virus in your nose and throat, but does not detect antibodies. The rapid Covid test looks for antibodies, which could show a false positive from a vaccine, however there is a supplemental test that can be done that will show that the antibodies are not from the virus. The supplemental test is routinely done for blood donations, when a person tests positive for antibodies.

I donate blood. My first two donations after they started testing regularly, to look for plasma donors, showed negative for antibodies. After the vaccine, I tested positive for antibodies and the supplemental test showed it wasn't from Covid exposure.

As for side effects, it can happen 12 hrs to 10 days later, from trials. It can happen even sooner or later. I, personally, got a slight arm rash after the first shot, seven days later. The second shot gave me chills and elevated temperature 12 hours later. Recovery is a couple of days.

Given that you can take the vaccine later, it would be fine to delay, if you're worried about side effects during the trip, which others have pointed out.

Unless you are using chinese produced vaccine(killed viral particle)!!! Impossible in USA but highly probable in many places including our own.

Make sure you are well insured for the trip to cover any unlikely event.

Postpone it by 2 wks to eliminate any lingering doubt/uncertainty.

Hey all!

In about a month, my girlfriend and I are scheduled on our first liveaboard to the Turks and Caicos (Aggressor). I just got my first round of the Moderna Covid vaccine on April 28th and am due for the second shot on May 28th. Turks and Caicos requires a PCR test no more than 5 days before our flight, so I'd be looking at getting a couple tests that Wednesday (more than one just in case results take too long..) and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/guidance on if getting the second vaccine several days beforehand would influence the test and make it more prone to be positive? I have looked online for an answer to this question and really can't find anything around this. If I had to, I would just wait a week to get the second round of vaccine until after my trip since we have already cancelled this trip once.

Thanks!!

Kyle
Hi Kyle and best wishes for a wonderful and safe trip!

You have asked a very good question. Rest assured that the Moderna mRNA vaccine will not cause you to test positive on either a PCR test nor an antigen test. Both of these tests look for active desease. The PCR test detects viral RNA from an oral, or more often, a nasal swab. The mRNA vaccines use a very small segment of viral mRNA to “trick” the body in producing a bit of the viral spike protein. mRNA is very unstable and is broken down by the body within hours of vaccination. It will not produce covid RNA in the nose or throat and so can not result in a false positive PCR test.

Anyone that tests positive for covid, PCR or antigen, after vaccination is considered to have an active infecion. If it is within 2 weeks the infection is considered to have occurred prior to the shot. If two weeks after vaccination is complete, it is considered a breakthrough infection.

It is the same answer for covid antigen test. This test is for specific proteins on the surface of the virus in nasal/oral specimens. Neither the Pfizer nor Moderna vaccines will cause these proteins to be present so they can not cause a false positive covid test.

.....my question is....T&C is saying that if you arrive on a saturday, you should have your test no earlier than the previous monday....(5 days) - suppose your flight gets delayed and you arrive on sunday...will that monday test still be accepted once you arrive in T&C????

.....my question is....T&C is saying that if you arrive on a saturday, you should have your test no earlier than the previous monday....(5 days) - suppose your flight gets delayed and you arrive on sunday...will that monday test still be accepted once you arrive in T&C????

Maybe get tested on Wednesday?

Hey all!

Thanks!!

Kyle

I"m going to agree with @queennyac. Most of these Caribbean nations seem to be pretty strict on the timing of the test before arrival. If there are flight delays that put you past that 5 day mark (usually counted down by hours rather than the actual number of days), you may end up having to cancel last minute. If it was me, I think I'd wait another day or two for the test just to be sure that if there is a delay of hours that you don't "time out". A friend of mine had this happen with his connecting flight and ended up not being able to get where he was going (which I think was T&C, but I'm not positive). It was too late for a refund or reschedule, so he forfeited the $$ for his trip. If he had waited another day to get tested, the delay would not have been an issue.

Also I'm going to echo those that said that side effects from the second dose may be a concern. Almost everyone I know that got the Moderna had some sort of reaction to the second dose. Most were mild reactions- soreness, tiredness, mild cold symptons. However, a couple got really sick and for several days. My friend's mom (who is 71) had such a severe reaction that she had to be hospitalized and spent 2 days in ICU. Not trying to scare you, but it would be awful to miss your trip because you had a reaction that was worse than average....or to feel sick during your trip. (Been there and it's no fun.) Since the second dose doesn't have to be given at that 4 week mark specifically, I think I'd hold off until after the trip.

Just my opinion though, so take it for that. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom