2nd "After Thanksgiving Freeze your A$$ Off" dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishsquid

Contributor
Reaction score
It didn't happen this year. Well, that isn't exactly correct. We had a dive the Saturday after Thanksgiving Day, it's just that there was only 3 of us there. My brother Johnny and a co-worker Mike. A few folks from Jasper, Ga. showed up just to dive and didn't know about our dive. Some of last years participents couldn't make it due to their families traveling to their homes instead of them coming this way. One participent wasn't able to make it due to moving WAY North! Donny, Ann, John, Master Fritts; hope we get to see you next year. We missed you! Anyway, there just wasn't any way this year could classify as a "freeze your a$$ off" dive as the air temp. was mid 60's, sunny, and the water was 58-64 degrees. The dives were actually really nice: Viz was 40-50 ft. Near the bottom at the trench, there was a very dense milky cloud hanging that was just too cool! You could actually drop just below it and be about 1-2ft. off the bottom. Going through the cloud was interesting as the vis dropped to inches. That was the first time I ever seen that before. We made some lazy time playing around the cloud and then came up to just play around the swim through and went to hang around the new Great White Shark. At the end of the dive I practiced shooting my new OMS SMB with reel. It went pretty good the first time. The second dive went pretty much the same as the first EXCEPT: practicing the deployment of my SMB went pretty much out the window.:shakehead: My reel unspooled a bit, leaving me like a fly in a web. I got it cleaned up and started again. It went OK, but I did lose some buoyancy control during the line fouling. No more that 3-4 ft., but enough to to let me know; I need a lot more practice! Just another reason to do some more dives.:wink:
Not an exciting report, but just letting some folks know how it went and we hope to see you and dive again.
:coffee:

I had a great time at Loch Low Minn with Irish Squid and his brother Johnny. I hope to make more of these dives after Thanksgiving. The weather seemed like a cool Sept. day not the end of November.

Well the northern contengecy Did dive in Saturday but the conditions were a little more winter like. We had to watch for the ice in the setup area:shocked2: The air temp was 31 F and the water temp in Lake Mendota was 38 F. I hope that I can do next years dive in the tropical water of LLM :D In the mean time I will have to put up the diving the wrecks of the Great Lakes:mooner:.

Keep it safe yall:cool2:

Well the northern contengecy Did dive in Saturday but the conditions were a little more winter like. We had to watch for the ice in the setup area:shocked2: The air temp was 31 F and the water temp in Lake Mendota was 38 F. I hope that I can do next years dive in the tropical water of LLM :D In the mean time I will have to put up the diving the wrecks of the Great Lakes:mooner:.

Keep it safe yall:cool2:

Sounds like a good time to me.:eyebrow:

We would be glad to see you next year if you would like to come down. Even if it is colder next year the water will be warrmer than The Great Lakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom