26th December - Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
As it's the first time that I am going there I'm not quite sure exactly where it is - Karon beach - but I'm going onto a liveaboard almost immediately. I'll ask about Le Meridian but you might even get better answers already from people on SB who actually live there. I'm leaving Japan on the 20th March and I'll post a detailed trip report when I get back - about 2 weeks later.

The Thai people sound wonderful!

Karon Beach is just down the road from Patong (about 20mins to 30 mins drive via a tuk-tuk - their version of a taxi).

Le Meridian is on the road into Patong, so you pass it on the way.

Hilton arcadia is on Karon Beach (just off the main shopping road), if you have a chance pop in and see the lobby - its huge!

Also try one of the club sandwiches from the "lost horizon" pool - come very highly recommended indeed.

Hilton Arcadia also has a good dive centre, one of the guys that runs it is an ex military diver and has lots of good advice on sorting out problems like equalizing your ears, and how to do and buy things in Thailand without paying tourist pricing.

Yeah the Thai people really are a great people - Like I said before, it was seriously humbling during the disaster on how they helped us.

You can buy lots of great stuff in Karon too (like DVD's, clothes - or general touristy stuff), and there is a great resteraunt there too which is incredibly cheap (literally, just a few bucks). I have a feeling though, that alot of the shop keepers have now closed their shops as the tourist season is over, and they arnt expecting a great deal of trade.

WOW! What a story. Thanks for sharing. I was just in Phuket a couple of weeks ago and the clean-up is coming along nicely. We talked to many Thai locals about their experiences during the tsunami, and it was very interesting. They are such nice, welcoming people with the most genuine smiles I've ever seen! While we were there, we saw a lot of damage, but they really seemed to be recovering and moving on. The diving was excellent and we saw very little damage under water. I would definitely recommend going ASAP. They need your financial support and you will not be disappointed at all. It was the trip of a lifetime for my husband and me. Thanks for doing as much as you did to help out.

cancun mark:
That is the way that the Thai people are. It makes you wish there were more buddhists in the world. Treat people like you would like to be treated.

Thanks for posting Andrew.

you were really lucky to have survived, you were lucky to have kept you shorts on as well. i saw people butt naked as the sea ripped of everything (under normal circumstances it would have been funny).

Yes the Thais (mostly) were generous, but there were a few restuarants in Patong that put up their prices (doubled, trippled and some more).

before people start ranting, my wife who is Thai said that the Thai TV news had reported it, and the government were sending officials to stamp it out.

I think that everyone here will agree that while most industries and people profit from another persons loss, this sort of profitering is just sick.

i am a firm believer of what goes around comes around, and these people will get their just rewards.

clive francis:
before people start ranting, my wife who is Thai said that the Thai TV news had reported it, and the government were sending officials to stamp it out.

I think that everyone here will agree that while most industries and people profit from another persons loss, this sort of profitering is just sick.

i am a firm believer of what goes around comes around, and these people will get their just rewards.

I think that I would prefer to believe Andrews' eye witness accounts than draw general conclusions from what was reported on the Thai news and is very possibly an isolated incident. There have been NO other reports of this kind of behaviour as far as I know - I certainly haven't heard of any. In fact, to the contrary, I have only heard and read about people helping each other out as far as they could, so I think that it is entirely appropriate for Andrew to point out how generous the Thai people were. To suggest that most of them weren't is IMO a rather negative assessment of this situation and is out of place in this thread.

Andrew_ge:
If your nearish to Patong, would you mind asking somone how Le Meridian is doing? (where I stayed), I heard it was due to re-open round about now and was a really beautiful hotel

According to their web site, Le Meridien will open June 1st.

Patong beach is pretty busy now, though most of the beach facing businesses are still closed up. It's all cleaned up, but there is some discussion about how to rebuild.

Karon and Kata beaches are both in good health. I think the Boathouse is still closed and Karon beach resort? Everything else open.

Update on hotels : www.phuket.com/hotel-status.htm

Glad you are thinking of coming again. We had this one customer who was on the beach like you and got a bit cut up. At the time he was in shock and couldn't face any diving. He has been back twice already to conquer his fears and show support for the area.

Wishing you happy diving.

Kim:
I think that I would prefer to believe Andrews' eye witness accounts than draw general conclusions from what was reported on the Thai news and is very possibly an isolated incident. There have been NO other reports of this kind of behaviour as far as I know - I certainly haven't heard of any. In fact, to the contrary, I have only heard and read about people helping each other out as far as they could, so I think that it is entirely appropriate for Andrew to point out how generous the Thai people were. To suggest that most of them weren't is IMO a rather negative assessment of this situation and is out of place in this thread.

you obviously didn't read my eyewitness account, that statement was not made from watching tv in the uk, it was made after watching tv in phuket during the days after the tsunami.

channel 5 (i think) was continually running news on the damage and they reported that some restuarant in Patong had increased their prices excessively and that steps were being taken to stop it.

the Thai government are hardly going to release a statement to the international press that there was profitering and looting going on.

just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

having been there quite a few times, been ripped off and seen many a farrang loose large sums of money, their houses and lives by loved(?) ones and associates nothing is impossible!

the only reason it looks a negative statement is because you have reversed my statement!

i said most were good and a few were bad, you have turned that to read most are bad and a few good, are you a politician?

Yes I did read your account but that is hardly the point here. This thread was started by Andrew to give his account and to thank the Thai people for their generosity. I did not turn anything from positive to negative, you did that twice now. In you first post you admitted as much with the statement:
clive francis:
before people start ranting...
which clearly shows to me that you knew full well that some people might take exception to your post, so you tried to already justify it.

Whether or not what you are saying is true is also of no consequence in this thread, as the point Andrew made very eloquently was a highlighting of the generosity of the Thai people that he came in contact with. Maybe he didn't go to the restaurants that you are talking about, he talked simply about what he did do.
Yes - you used six words to acknowledge the generosity of 'most' Thais. However you have used a lot more than that in both your posts that are extremely negative.
As I said before - true or not - it has no place in this thread.

My experience in Thailand has always been positive and enjoyable. I've visited off & on since the mid '70's, and never run into the few bad apples Clive mentions.
Though I wasn't there for the Tsunami, a friend was, and his report is consistent with Andrew's. I'll be going back as soon as the pocketbook allows.
S

Andrew_ge:
Hi

Thanks for your comments, and not a problem - I think the generosity of the Thai's hasnt been covered nearly as much as it should be by the press.

What part of phuket are you going to?

If your nearish to Patong, would you mind asking somone how Le Meridian is doing? (where I stayed), I heard it was due to re-open round about now and was a really beautiful hotel (Le Meridian Khao lak was totally wiped out though :().

Andrew, glad to hear that you and your family got out ok. Also your praises to the Thai's should be recognized by more people. They were incredible with their kindness and thoughtfulness during such a time. We lost our beach branch and it's contents and the Thai's tried very hard to recover some of the equipment. Even though very little was recovered their efforts are greatly appreciated.

Another example: a local beach vendor from Kata Beach risked his own life to save a street dog who was caught dragging back in the second wave!! He ran into the drag picked the dog up (weighs about 30 kilo's) and carried him all the way (+/- 50 meters) to higher grounds. Bob - the dog - was so traumatized from the fright and his injuries that he spent 2 weeks at the local vet. Glad to say that Bob is a happy chappy now.

As for the Meridian, it was originally scheduled to open in June. However it is now re scheduled to the end of Juy as the restaurant and pools are still being refurbished. Nevertheless reception is presently operating for reservations.

Hope this helps.

Andrew, Thank you for posting, it was very interesting to hear your account of the tsunami. I am really glad to hear you and your family are safe and well. I havent been to thailand however this year myself and my husband-to-be will be visiting phuket for our honeymoon. After hearing your account of the Thais I'll bet we will have a fantastic time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom