$2500 digital ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok would this be a good or bad use of around $2500 to go digital? Camera nikon coolpix 5000 w/19 mm lens.Ikelite housing with a Iklite ds 125 stobe. Is this a good set up? Or would you go a different route? And if so for around that price what would you recomend I am a little flexable on the price but want something easy to use,great results,and less bulky than my Nikonos IV with 15mm and 225 Iklite strobe. Plus I like the thought of macro and wide angle with one unit.I use a Nikonos II with dual Iklite stobes for macro only. Too much stuff nowadays for travel,but if one floods I am still in the game!:confused:

Not sure what level of photography you're expecting and the final output application - you could spend anything from $2000 to infinity for a digital setup. At $2500 I'd say you're getting an excellent setup in the prosumer range. The Nikon CP5000 + Ikelite housing and the OlyC5050 + Olympus PT-015 or Ikelite housing seems to be the way most people are going in the 5MP range. Combined with a DS-125 or S&S YS-90DX you're talking about a very good setup that's easy to use, fairly compact and excellent results. Don't forget the cost of the batteries, chargers and digital media.

Thanks I want to be able to do blow ups and have them framed if I pull off a great shot. Also the ability to email and post photos.

I have a Canon D30 (3.25mp). No housing yet, but I can tell you that I can print 8X10's that are near photo quality. I've also printed a few 13X19's that were amazing (at home with a Canon S9000 printer).

Anything above 2 mp will get you good 4x6's and 5x7's...even 3.25mp will get you good 8x10's. Obviously, all things equal, the higher the pixel count the better, but you don't need a 6+mp camera to get some really nice shots.

The pics for e-mail is a no-brainer: you will need to downsize your images to post on the web.

When printing you want to generally have your images at 300dpi. With a 5MP camera you can get a 21.67cm(8.533in) x 16.26cm(6.4in) print.

You can push the size with a 200dpi image and that will get you a nice print at 32.51cm(12.8in) x 24.38cm(9.6in).

You can further push the size by lowering the dpi but then you start sacrificing quality for the size of the print.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom